• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broncojam build

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
I bought my bronco last November and am starting my build. It started of innocently like many builds. The previous owner had a set of Warn premium hubs that went along with the bronco so I decided to install them. When I got the old hubs off the grease inside looked terrible so I decided it was time to clean and grease the bearings. When I got the hub off I noticed lots of grinding on the spindle when I would turn the axle stub by hand. When I took the spindle off (which cam off nice and easy because the last guy used never seize) I got a knuckle that looks like this. what do you guys think, junk it or run it?

Attachments

• BRONCO 009 2012-10-07.jpg
    BRONCO 009 2012-10-07.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You can also post pics through photobucket by copying the image code & pasting it here in the text body

& this is what it should look like...
IMG_4625_zps2255e14b.jpg

OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
Thanks Durrr and sprdv1. Looks like I need to work on the pictures a little more. I am trying to use dropbox. I will give it a few more tries and if I don't get it to work out I will either become a contributor or try Photobucket.

OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
bknbronco it looks like it was torch cut. My guess is that the spindle was stuck and they torched it off. I was a little concerned that some of the cuts get very close to the bolt holes and that so much of the face that the spindle gets bolted to was missing.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Wow haven't come across anything like that before, as long as it doesn't take away from its function or strength I'd run it. If you want you can mig or tig a bead around it to build the metal back up then flap grind it smooth. But thats just me.

I tried drop box for awhile, even got it to start working but for some reason if other members don't have the drop box app they still won't see your pics. Just save yourself the hassle & headache & either pay the small fee to become a member or start using photobucket:cool:

OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
My joints came in today. They look great. I need to clean the threads some before I try to put them together, quite a few chips adn debris in them but the machining looks nice. I paln on a three link in the front and a four link in the rear. I am stating with a complete rebuild of the front axle and chevy one ton tie rod ends. The tie rods should show up tomorrow and the tires too.

Attachments

• BRONCO 010 2012-10-08.jpg
    BRONCO 010 2012-10-08.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 27
  • BRONCO 011 2012-10-08.jpg
    BRONCO 011 2012-10-08.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
trying another picture

It doesn't look like this is going to work either.

Attachments

• BRONCO 018 2012-10-10.jpg
    BRONCO 018 2012-10-10.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
Durrr I started a photobucket account and used the direct image and still got only the link. Which option do I use. Thanks

OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
Thanks 66horse I think I got now. My tires came in today! Who has the best package deals for ring and pinion, master install kits and locker (Eaton E-locker)?

OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
new tires.

Got the tires today. I have read a lot of good things about these tires, I hope I like them. Looks like some trimming in my future.
BRONCO0152012-10-10_zps70d39f77.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
new tires

I hope I can keep them this far under the fender. don't think it is going to happen though. Probably more like the second pic.

BRONCO0172012-10-10_zpsd6af6427.jpg

BRONCO0162012-10-10_zpsbe425900.jpg

OP
OP
broncojam

broncojam

Loc.
Ukiah
tack welded u-joint

Have you guys ever seen a u-joint tack welded in? This is the drivers side. the passenger side looks normal with no tack welds.

BRONCO192012-10-15SMALL_zpse13fa309.jpg
[/IMG]

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yup, seen that. Not abnormal. Helps prevent the caps & c-clips from backing off/breaking off. Thats why the nicer u joints use full circle clips or snap rings.