• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BCB's new top

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
A very nice top Chuck, it looks like a lot of thought and energy went into it. We are all grateful for your efforts.

I'm patiently waiting until you get the ball rolling on production, and will order one in white.

Outstanding!!! ;D

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Yes I got a price from the sew shop. $800 for the canvas part. That's canvas only and does not include the frame. I am waiting for the paterns now to take to other places to see if I can get the price down. Sorry about the delay. I hope to get this worked out next week.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
:( you'd think it was raw silk embroidered with a nude chick as nose art or sum-thin for those prices!

Those canvas shops think they can charge WHAT EVER they want and we will all pay it!

Good luck! I hope ya find an honest shop... and soon ;)

keep up the good work!

:cool:

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Thanks, I won't pay that much. I think the guy is honest and does a good job but does not understand about pricing. I will pick up the top and paterns tomorrow and maybe get q better price. If not I will be looking for someone else to make them.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
chuck how about this:
go find a marine canvas shop or mobile guy.

there a abunch around me, but i live on a lake....

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I had not thought about a mobile guy. I will look into that and the boat shop. I might be able to buy a machine and hire a guy to run it also. Even if it took 8 hrs and I paid a guy $20 per hr. plus the about $200 for parts that would be only $360. Wonder how much for a good used machine. More later

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
Well, yer in TX now...

Ever thought about use'n some of the guys to the South!

I think that on American Hot Rod "Gabe's" started in ol Mexico and moved to the USA later in life.

I could be wrong but I THINK the labor is cheaper down there... and if what the guys at "Gabe's" are do'n is an accurate example of craftsmenship I wouldn't think it would comprimise any quality!

Besides, I think the better engine blocks come from Mexico... so why not the Tops also! ;)

regardless, GET THAT PUPPY on the market! I need a top soon! ;D

take care and keep up the good work!

:cool:

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I just talked to the sew shop and he will be done with the first top made from a pattarn tomorrow (friday 7-21) Depending on cost I will be either 1. ordering tops or 2. picking up my top and pattarns and looking for someone else to make them. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Well the sew shop will not come down on his price so I went to two more shops to day but no luck. I have one more place to go tomorrow.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Well, the latest. The sew shop we went to last says no problem (I've heard that before) they can make my tops. They will give me a price the first of next week. The down side is they well not make less than 500 pieces. The up side is the price should be as good as it will get. I'll let you know when I know.

johns76b

I was just woundering if you have any news on the top? I need to buy one and I like this one...

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I am waiting for the above sew shop to give me a price. The sew shop above is waiting for material suppliers to get back to him so he can give me a price. He also took a few days off, now he says he should have all the prices the first of next week. His part is the canvas, not just a price on the top but a price for each piece. There are 6 pieces that will be interchangeable/replaceable plus tint plus no side windows and will be available separately so I need a price for each. And the price difference for the diff. colors if any. Then there is the metal parts but that's another story. Anyway with any luck I will have the prices early next week.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
No, I would rather make less money and keep it here but I am down to going south if this guy doesn't work out. I talked to him today and he is still working on my estimate. Hopes to have it by the end of this week

bax

Contributor
Old Member
South? You mean the same guys that throw junk at you and dig traps for your truck are now going to build your tops? please keep looking.

Bax