Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 06/23/19, 03:50 PM   #1
chrlsful

1/2 Cab

Amherst, MA
Tow / Haul

What might the weight range B of above for a 4L, 5 speed, 411 geared 15 inch tire bronk?
Thinkin of the smallest 7ft tall by 6X10 - or so, cargo trailer (combo camper / haul for hire). Ramp back, 1 axel, man door, ele roof vent, may B those fancy off rd hitch or simple pintle/loop...
Dreamin? (yeah but so what, can do attitude!).

Chad - '70 LUEB 1/2 cab on '77 frame (ie D44, PS, 4.11 BB trapezoidal 9"), 4.2L, NV 3550 / 'T' D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33x9.5, tool boxes, etc. Seeking: Hydraulic Gear Motor for Koenig PTO, chrlsful@aol.com
chrlsful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/19, 04:31 PM   #2
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
I belive factory spec was 2000 lbs. But you have to get a good hitch because the four bumper bolts are just on the end of the frame and are crap for strength.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/19, 05:36 PM   #3
chrlsful

1/2 Cab

Amherst, MA
in the 80s some1 welded a channel (well, an "L") across there w/a Reece type square stickin out. I hauled timber up/out of the swamp on it for 30 yrs (neighbor's band saw mill). I wanna make it a lill road (off rd too if possible) hauler now (my retirement). These lill cargo trailers weigh 1/2 to 3/4 that unloaded (6X14, 7X12) damn may B a 6X10...

Thanks -
tung weight'd B next Q I guess. 200 lb? 'S so short...

Chad - '70 LUEB 1/2 cab on '77 frame (ie D44, PS, 4.11 BB trapezoidal 9"), 4.2L, NV 3550 / 'T' D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33x9.5, tool boxes, etc. Seeking: Hydraulic Gear Motor for Koenig PTO, chrlsful@aol.com
Old 06/23/19, 09:09 PM   #4
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

Our factory order

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
My camper trailer weighs 2800 pounds. Power isn't the problem. It's more about the short wheelbase. I limit my towing with the Bronco to 60 MPH.

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/19, 10:38 PM   #5
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Stock Bronco is probably the best a Bronco can be for towing. Start modifying and stability is an issue. I've towed some fairly mild and some really stupid loads with a Bronco over the years. Doesn't take much to ball one up. Even at fairly low (parking lot) speeds I've had pucker factors with under #2000 trailers.

As others have stated, power is not an issue. Cooling might be. Center of gravity, wheelbase, weight shift, trailer push are all bad.

Couple of examples of newer vehicles. Jeep JL 4-door is rated at 3500#. But the 2-door which mechanically is identical and weighs a little less, is only rated at 2000#
Nissan Frontier with a V6 can tow about 6500#, but the exact same everything but in a shorter wheelbase is now limited to 5000#, and that is with the added rear sway bar for better stability. Just a couple of modern examples of how short wheelbase makes for a bad tow rig.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
Why do people keep expecting "normal" from me?
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/19, 05:12 AM   #6
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
My camper trailer weighs 2800 pounds. Power isn't the problem. It's more about the short wheelbase. I limit my towing with the Bronco to 60 MPH.
Yeah, don't want to push it too much w/these things..

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/19, 07:14 AM   #7
Justafordguy
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Tallahassee, Fl

My Gallery
Garage
I think for a Bronco, any trailer over 2000lbs loaded, you should have trailer brakes on it.

77 Bronco, 302, 4bbl, Hei, C4, PS, PB, BCB-A/C, 33" KM2s, D44/Lock-Right - Chromo axles, 9"/Grizzly locker - Yukon axles, Tom Woods driveshafts, 2.5" sl, 1" bl, Bilstein shocks, 1 ton steering, JB-fab twin stick, D20,

2017 F350 CC LB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
2016 Edge Sport V6 EcoBoost AWD
Justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/19, 07:42 AM   #8
chrlsful

1/2 Cab

Amherst, MA
what bout tong weight?
200 a limit?
Those 'anti sway' type chains'n short arms
on the hitch to 'A' frame help?

Old 06/24/19, 08:54 AM   #9
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

Our factory order

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlsful View Post
what bout tong weight?
200 a limit?
Those 'anti sway' type chains'n short arms
on the hitch to 'A' frame help?
Tongue weight is your friend with a Bronco. You're tongue weight needs to be at least 10% of the trailer weight.
Also, the attitude of the trailer is important. The trailer tongue should be slightly down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0903151122a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	480851  

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.
Old 06/24/19, 11:39 AM   #10
Allen_69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Sugar Grove Pa
Garage
I about killed myself in West Va back in the 90's hauling a car on a trailer towed behind a bone stock 71. What can I say I was young and stupid. It was after the first gulf war and I was still feeling a bit invincible. The trailer literally lifted the rear of the bronco off the road when it started bouncing, and the car was loaded with as much tongue weight as I felt comfortable with. Headed down a 9% grade my only choice was to keep it going faster as braking wasn't an option. I was up over 90 before the grade changed enough I could get it to a stop so I could change my pants.

Last edited by Allen_69; 06/24/19 at 01:52 PM..
Allen_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/19, 12:47 PM   #11
chrlsful

1/2 Cab

Amherst, MA
about 1/2 the coal & lumber trucks comin down the grade outside Kingwood, WV used to go over the bridge B4 the other side would slo'em down (goin up).

So 2000 # trailer (total - must B "GVW"?), 200# tung weight and the 'load levelers' or 'anti-sways' are smart?

Old 06/24/19, 12:52 PM   #12
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
For low speed, Broncos are great tow vehicles. Very maneuverable.
But any speed or distance they suck. When something goes wrong in a bigger, better tow vehicle it isn't that big of a deal most of the time. Just an interesting experience.
In a Bronco things will go fine right up until the time they don't. And when things go bad, they go bad really fast. All my worst towing experiences are with a Bronco pulling something. The bad stuff happening at very slow speeds so it was just a bit spooky. A little more speed (as in closer to normal speeds) and I would be owning a lot more scrap metal.

Old 06/24/19, 01:14 PM   #13
chrlsful

1/2 Cab

Amherst, MA
several repeats here on inherent nature ofa short WB tow vehicle.
I seek to lower these issues w/my specific Qs.
I guess the 3, 4 areas of attention have been covered, any more folks might offer?
(i have no choice on change to other vehicle, will not be going 65/70 MPH).

weight (trailer, total)
tung weight
tow accessories (anti sway bars/chains)
trailer breaks

For instance are: 15 inch tires better, stub axels (not a cross axel, torsions may B too expensive 4 me), air foils, radial v bias, and so on...

Old 06/24/19, 08:40 PM   #14
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

Our factory order

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
People from my generation understood towing way better than the youngsters.
Now days, you just buy a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. Done!
Lots of lost knowledge.

Old 06/24/19, 10:13 PM   #15
Broncobowsher
Total hack

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
6x10 enclosed trailer, lightweight, still 1500# empty. Not much you could put in it. People really underestimate the weight of cargo. A dirt bike, small tool box and a cooler and you are overloaded. May not be for the trailer but for the tow vehicle. Camp gear, while each piece is light as a whole it isn't.

Worst place for mass in a trailer is behind the axle. Yes, there is the 10-15% tongue weight rule and that works pretty good. But if you take a trailer that is tongue heavy and balance the weight by putting heavy stuff at the very back of the trailer it will pull like crap. On paper it is perfect, in the real world it sucks. Center the mass slightly forward of the trailer axle, put the light stuff in the back. Ever hear of SAE J2807? It is the SAE standard for tow ratings. Has to do with chassis stability, engine cooling, all kinds of fun stuff. A friend/coworker is on the committee. I know way too much about this stuff. I've worked on too much of this stuff on a daily basis. I can generally look at a trailer and tell if it will tow good or not regardless of weights.

As for the trailer itself. Torsion axles are better for ground clearance, really touchy about hitch height and axle loading in tandem configurations, usually less travel and more sensitive to correct weight to get a good ride. Leaf springs tend to be cheaper to buy parts for, they are more repairable, but for manufacturing they cost more in labor hanging all the parts. For building a trailer torsion costs more to buy but is cheaper to build due to less labor.
Taller/larger tires tend to be more forgiving. If you can fit an LT tire instead of a trailer tire you are better off. Generally you will run what comes on the trailer until upgrade time, that is when you hope you have a trailer that will accept the LT tire. My boat trailer can only take little trailer tires, I wish it could take LT tires as it would be a better choice. But that would take a complete rebuild of the suspension, widen the trailer to get the tires outside the boat (let the boat fit between the tires and not above them).
Weight distributing hitches are great if towing a heavy trailer. If you need one on a Bronco, you are towing too much trailer. Care must be taken as it is a device that unloads weight off the rear axle, at times when you shouldn't be unloading weight. They can (and have) made things worse on a light trailer.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat