• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are 4, 5 point harnesses street legal?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To the best of my knowledge, they're not technically legal as per many state's motor vehicle codes, but it varies by state. In Oregon, they may pull you over if they can't see the shoulder strap but when they see a racing harness they usually just smile and tell you they thought you weren't wearing a seatbelt. I've never seen them hassle that many folks driving rigs from the 60's, just because lap belts are to tough to enforce without pulling over every classic rig on the highway.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have a friend in AZ who was pulled over for no seatbelt. The officer showed up and found the lap belt being used. No ticket, was legal in that officers eyes. (He used the lap belt when wheeling because the 3 point would lock up on him and he could not put it on when climbing into the truck when it is parked on a steep hill)

I have never seen a seatbelt law that states that it must be of any certain type. Just states that they must be worn when vehicle is in motion, usually just the front seat passengers.

If there is a law that states that only the OE seatbelt can be worn, then even the 3 point conversion are not legal. I can't see any problems with race type belts. If there is an issues, the cop has a thorn in him and you are getting the book thrown at you, the seatbelt issue would be the least of the worries.

Amac70

ME
i believe it is kind of like beadlocks. 4 and 5 pt harness are not dot approved safety devices. So its probally up to the cops discretion. I was pulled over last month for somethng else and he did not say anything about my 5 pt harness.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
In VA belts have to be releaseable by one push button, so only the Strotch? belts are legal. Standard and camlocks are not. Supposedly the rescue workers won't know how to release the belts. Around here they all cut the belts anyway.
I have been pulled once and all he did was check my experation dates on the belts.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Legal or not they suck to drive in all the time. Way too restricting. Three point will keep you in. I have harnesses in back for the kids but front seats are retractable three points.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
what!? never heard of such a thing.

Harnesses are supposed to be re-certified every two years, thats why they have the date tags attached to them. I know NHRA enforces it.
From Simpsons site:

Q: How often should I inspect and/or replace my belts and restraint systems?

A: You should inspect your belts and restraints before every use. Replace belts and restraints that have nicks, cuts, excessive wear, fraying and/or have been exposed to harmful chemicals or the environment. Proper restraint is a very important factor in safety. Replace any belts that experienced a crash or an event other than normal use. Do not use the restraint system again, even if it appears OK. We recommend (and some Sanctioning Bodies require) the belts to be replaced two years after the date stamped on the SFI tag. Consult your Sanctioning Body for more information.

Redneck

Loc.
Jefferson City, MO
Called State Patrol here in Missouri and as far as my state goes they say that anything that meets or exceeds the factory standards at time of manufacture you are good to go as long as it buckles and unbuckles. No special mounting requirements either.

IronBenderII

In CA, if you have a 5 pt. harness you have to wear all 5 points. I got pulled over wearing just my lap belt and he gave me a ticket. I told him that's all the Bronco's came w/ stock he said if it was there I had to wear it...

Jack