• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

GT40 vs GT40P specs

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A great post I found at Corral.net as follows :

Here's aGT-40 Iron vs GT-40P Heads
Researched and written by: Kell Bean (Unit 5302)

The GT40's have 1.85"/1.54" valves, GT40P's have 1.85"/1.46" valves, and the stock E7TE's have 1.78"/1.46" valves.

Based on that information, I would expect the GT40 Iron head to significantly outflow the P's, but that would prove an incorrect assumption. The P's not only outflow the original GT40 heads, but they do it everywhere. There is no advantage for the GT40 iron's until above .500 lift. Since the GT-40P heads aren’t designed for optimum flow above .500, and the overall flow of either head doesn’t support the kind of flow you’d expect to get from a wild cam combo, the high lift flow isn’t as important as it would be with a more aggressive combination. The P heads also come with 59cc combustion chambers, which will increase your stock 5.0HO engine compression to about 9.5:1 while the GT40's 65.5cc chamber hurts your compression dropping it to about 8.8:1. Compression ratios are not the most important thing in engine performance, but so long as you’re staying under 10:1 you should be able to pick up some free horsepower here.

Back when the P heads first hit the scene you could pick up a set for only about $400. Now they are becoming scarce, and you should expect to pay in the neighborhood of $500/set. A set of brand new, stock GT40P’s will flow 190cfm from .400 to over .500 lift intake, peaking at about 195cfm. That's a serious improvement over stock, and well matched to mild head/cam/intake combinations. E7TE’s flow up to about 155cfm intake side peak, at .500 lift. A home ported set will get you about 165-170cfm, while a pro ported set is in the neighborhood of 190-200cfm. To get more than that, you’re going to have to pay big bucks for the porter to replace the valves to a larger size, and really put some work in.
When it comes down to making choices for your heads, it’s important to decide where you’re going, and what you need. The GT-40 Iron heads do sport some enhancements beyond the P’s. For a forced induction combination, the Iron’s do have a lower compression ratio, and in the case of more aggressive camshafts the Irons usually came with GT-40 valvetrain, good for about .520 lift while the stock P head springs only go to .500. If you were to use an XE series camshaft with a great deal of lift, the GT-40 Iron head would probably work better than the P head for pure, peak flow due to the more linear flow characteristics the Irons have continuing past .500. The added advantage is the GT-40 heads work with common headers, and the P heads require specific, and more expensive GT-40P headers in almost all cases. The GT-40P head; however, has it’s advantages too. A more efficient combustion chamber design delivers a better burn, a little more compression for more power in a N/A configuration, more peak flow at the valve lifts most combinations involving these heads will experience, and a superior area under the curve. By under the curve, I mean the flow rate viewed as a graph. If you take the horizontal X axis, and label it "Lift", and the vertical Y axis, and label it "Flow" plotting the flow curve out between the heads would be interesting to look at. It all adds up to a definite advantage for the P head in most applications.
Specifications:
Head Material Comb Chamber Intake Valve Exhaust Valve Peak Flow In. Peak Flow Ex. Stock Max Lift
GT-40P Cast Iron 59.0cc 1.84" 1.46" 196cfm@.500 139cfm@.500 .500"
GT-40 Iron Cast Iron 65.5cc 1.84" 1.54" 192cfm@.500* 128cfm@.500* .520"*
*GT-40 Irons only feature flow rates up to .500 lift, although flow at .600 lift may be slightly higher. Estimated maximum lift for GT-40 valvetrain.
n article I found on the net.

intake volume = 160cc
exhaust = 53cc
combustion chamber = GT40 = 65.5cc
combustion chamber = GT40P = 59cc

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exploder motors are right at 9:1 compression , note Combustion chamber cc size difference above. the GT40's are said to be just below 9:1 and the P's are just above 9:1.

Both motors use hyperutetic pistons.

The Mustang crowd all swear the stock valve springs SUCK , especially on after market cams , they cannot deal with much lift and they are very light weighted which leads to valve float , especially on the EFI Hyd. roller cams that have very steep ramps.

1996 Exploder V8 : 210hp & 280 ftlb tq 9.0 : 1cr

1998 Exploder V8 : 215hp & 288 ftlb tq 9.1 : 1cr

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Every 5.0 including exploder's I've had apart that were stock had TRW forged pistons in them from Ford.

Hmm , can't argue with that , as I haven't disassembled mine yet , but it that is the first I have heard that. Every other spec page out there lists hyper's.

I wonder if everyone is lumping the Explorer 5.0 together with the standard 5.0's ? Basically it is a GT40 motor , so I could see why they would jump up to the forged slugs along with everything else.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Mustang crowd all swear the stock valve springs SUCK , especially on after market cams , they cannot deal with much lift and they are very light weighted which leads to valve float , especially on the EFI Hyd. roller cams that have very steep ramps.

As many years as I've been building the heads for Ford engines, I not only agree with that statement but assert its largely true for most all Ford engine families subsequent to the FE. The valve and valve spring failures are beyond doubt the single biggest failure point for all 335 and 385 series engines in my personal experience, especially if an aftermarket cam is ever introduced to the stock springs

NOTPRETTY

Loc.
Folsom CA
I just pulled apart my 98 Explorer and it has flat top aluminum TRW pistons.

And yes...P heads are 59cc, 9:1 compression...shade higher actually.

krisbassett

I wonder what kind of flows you could get out of the GT49P's with a bit of porting and polishing?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Basically you will destroy any gains the P heads have and by the time your done you could have taken any head and dump that much time and money into them and had the same result. Thats if you dont screw them up in the process. Or you could just buy aftermarket heads and get better results out of the box.. Also keep in mind flow numbers can vary from each machine so just because one guy said he ported/modifed heads and they flowed better than brand X doesnt mean the flow testing was the same.