Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 06/12/12, 10:34 AM   #1
drajj5

77, 351w,C6,NP205

Ellijay, GA
eBay: drajj5

My Gallery
headlights went out while driving

On my way to work early yesterday before daybreak, the lights on the bronco kicked off....Dark as hell and could not see anything I applied the brake and held the steering as straight as possible. Fortunatly I was able to (feel) the side if the road listining for the Burp-Burp- that was eminating from the tires as I eased off the road. Scared the hell out of me.

I finally was able to get the lights working again by 'pumping the light switch' in and out. Never did it fail, during the 25 miles or so left of night driving. I did open the windows and let the cool air calm my nerves before arriving at work.

I had light problems before (blew them both out) due to a faulty Voltage Regulator. I replaced both the VR and headlights with some new halogens. Could it be that those new halogens pull too much current for the older wiring harness?
Old 06/12/12, 10:53 AM   #2
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
Yes, the halogens are running too much current through the switch, tripping the thermal overload and cutting out the lights. When it cools off, the lights work again. Very common problem and easy fix with a headlight relay wiring harness.

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Old 06/12/12, 10:53 AM   #3
BucknEB

Johns Island, SC

My Gallery
Check your high beam switch on the floor. If that begins to fail the lights will cut off without warning also.

'76 Sport. 5.0 EFI b303 cam, Trickflow intake, Explorer Serp., long tube headers, BCB exhaust, C4,D20, twin sticks, TBP roll cage, 3"SL 2"BL, 33 KM2's
CarolinaBroncosMember
Old 06/12/12, 10:54 AM   #4
asinor
Bronco Guru

Tulsa, OK
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drajj5 View Post
I had light problems before (blew them both out) due to a faulty Voltage Regulator. I replaced both the VR and headlights with some new halogens. Could it be that those new halogens pull too much current for the older wiring harness?
I've had this happen on multiple occasions in another vehicle, even got a ticket for driving with my brights on because the low beams blew out 5 minutes earlier. Halogens are not very tolerant of voltage spikes.

My EB has also had the phantom headlight switch problem occasionally. Pull over, shut it off, turn the lights on and off a few time, start it up, turn them on. Never am able to get them working again without shutting it off first so it may be a VR or relay issue.

Old 06/12/12, 10:55 AM   #5
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Garage
The stock headlight switches have a common problem. They have internal thermal circuit breakers that tend to open when the high beams are used for extended periods of time. The fix is to install a set of headlight relays. They will also provide brighter headlights. Most vendors have them or you can make your own.

'74 beater, 5.0 mustang EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost

'70 cruiser, 5.8 explorer EFI, 4R70W, PS, front discs + hydro, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 34's, 4.88's, ARB & tru-track
Old 06/12/12, 10:56 AM   #6
ryansbronco
Bronco Guru

Only if I had more parking space

The place of bronco
the wires should be fine for the H bulbs, you just wont get full power to them
I think your headlight switch went out. I have ran across a few crappy ones lately. Try to find a standard motor products switch. I've had good luck with them.
You can build your own relay harness to make use of the H bulbs. All then ends and relay holders can be got from napa. I should have done it this way. The vendors kits are fine. No vendor bashing here, but what you get you can google how to do it and build it for half the cost.

Its a Bronco thing ...only you would know
Old 06/12/12, 11:05 AM   #7
Scoop
Contributor
Bronco Influencer

DS, TX & Cuchara, CO

My Gallery
Garage
Had the same thing happen to me after a long day on a dusty trail - and I already have the headlight harness! Seems it was dust in the dimmer switch and the first time I hit the highbeams on my way back my lights went out! And I was on a windy mountain road in Colorado! Pulled over and pumped the dimmer swtich a bunch of times until they came back on and then didn't touch the switch again. It's never happened again.

That said lthe headlight harness is a great upgrade and should be done with halogens.

~v~ 72 Pattina Bronco, 74 Ranger, 76 Trail Rig/Crawler, 78 Custom 410M, 84 Custom Big Six
Old 06/12/12, 11:49 AM   #8
Bronco Junkie
Contributor
So Cal Broncos

Los Angeles
Garage
X50...you need to add relays.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

"When I started using dynamite I believed in many things....Now, I believe only in dynamite."
Old 06/12/12, 12:21 PM   #9
Phil76

Aransas Pass, TX
Garage
Viperwolf's thread here should do the trick: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...59#post2029659 Great quick, inexpensive upgrade!
Old 06/12/12, 12:28 PM   #10
JLBachs

Vincennes, IN

My Gallery
Garage
Not to Hijack, but this was happening to me a lot. I replaced the dimmer and the light switch. I would push in and pull out the light switch and I "thought" that was making the lights come back on until one night when nothing helped. I got looking around and found out that one of my turn signal sockets was coming loose from where it was stamped into its housing - I could move it and make the headlights come on and go off. I temporarily pulled tension on it with a piece of baling wire (it's still there) and have been meaning to tack it with the mig sometime. The extra strain of completing this almost-open circuit must have been tripping that internal circuit breaker - shot in the dark but may be something to check

1975 U15 explorer serp, 4x4x2ps conv., 1" WH b/l, 31-spline Yukons, traction-locks front and rear, F150 knuckles, roller 5.8L
Old 06/12/12, 01:01 PM   #11
drajj5

77, 351w,C6,NP205

Ellijay, GA

My Gallery
That link is broken....could you post it again.

I did replace the headlight switch not to long ago(dimmer spring/resistor broke) with an aftermarket switch. I was thinking that the new switch is bad....

However, I would love to fix this problem " Relays are the solution"- so survey says.......Anyone care to share how this is done?
Old 06/12/12, 01:13 PM   #12
noslo5o

Robertsdale, AL
Headlight relay diagram the color code is not the same as the bronco but the wire position is. Don't forget to use some electronic contact cleaner and dielectric grease on all of your connections. You will be amazed how much brighter your dash lights will be.

Last edited by noslo5o; 06/12/12 at 01:27 PM..
Old 06/12/12, 01:48 PM   #13
Bronco Junkie
Contributor
So Cal Broncos

Los Angeles
Garage
Also, try to avoid Chinese relays. I went through 3 of them (they blew at first try) before I went looking for others. Found some made in Japan and they are working superbly!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

"When I started using dynamite I believed in many things....Now, I believe only in dynamite."
Old 06/12/12, 02:01 PM   #14
Viperwolf1
Contributor
electron whisperer

It's not dented, it's just been environmentally streamlined!

homelessly wandering

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBachs View Post
Not to Hijack, but this was happening to me a lot. I replaced the dimmer and the light switch. I would push in and pull out the light switch and I "thought" that was making the lights come back on until one night when nothing helped. I got looking around and found out that one of my turn signal sockets was coming loose from where it was stamped into its housing - I could move it and make the headlights come on and go off. I temporarily pulled tension on it with a piece of baling wire (it's still there) and have been meaning to tack it with the mig sometime. The extra strain of completing this almost-open circuit must have been tripping that internal circuit breaker - shot in the dark but may be something to check
More likely 1 of the wires was shorting to ground in that was putting the extra load on the headlight switch and breaker.

'74 beater, 5.0 mustang EFI, C4, PS, front discs, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 33's, 4.11's, ARBs, Hickey Sidewinder, cobra hydroboost

'70 cruiser, 5.8 explorer EFI, 4R70W, PS, front discs + hydro, twin sticks, 3.5" susp/1" body, 34's, 4.88's, ARB & tru-track
Old 06/16/12, 06:13 AM   #15
drajj5

77, 351w,C6,NP205

Ellijay, GA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noslo5o View Post
Headlight relay diagram the color code is not the same as the bronco but the wire position is. Don't forget to use some electronic contact cleaner and dielectric grease on all of your connections. You will be amazed how much brighter your dash lights will be.
ok did this and I think that I have the problem fixed....I hope!

Thanks for all input, and schematic.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives