• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carpet Install

Iowabronco68

Getting ready to install some carpet I bought from TBP. It is the one piece standard carpet. Looking for any pointers or tips for the install. What is the best way to mark all the holes for reinstalling the seats and seat belts ? Any help will be greatly appreciated ?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I measured the holes from a reference point, like the door jam, and drew a diagram. Put in all my padding and sound deadening and cut out the holes in that based on my diagram. Then I let the carpet warm in the sun and laid it in. I put in the front and rear hold down strips next. Then i had a beer and admired it, worked out any wrinkles, and let it sit and made sure it was right. Then i did the side hold down strips and the seats and belts were last. An ice pick or screwdriver sharpened to a point will help with finding lost holes. Just poke it thru the carpet to find the hole and then cut an "x". Good luck.

Last edited:

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
1) Get a good pair of carpet type scissors. You can use them for other purposes.

2) Whatever method you use to locate holes (ie. Measuring, sharp object from underneath where possible), consider using a hot single-pointed soldering gun to burn holes in carpet for seat hold down bolts and seat belts. It works beautifully and leaves a nice hole.

3) Also, if using carpet hold down strips, do not trim all the material away to perfection. Instead, get your carpet laid out, situate the carpet trim piece by leaving an inch or so of excess material outside trim area, screw down carpet, then cut the excess material with a good pair of sharp scissors.

4) anticipate all wiring before hand, add additional wiring for good measure, and measure and document where your wires are located, specifically.

5) Take your time

Good luck

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Plan on leaving the carpet in the Bronco for a day or so to let it relax & stretch into position. Use HEAVY weights or strong magnets to keep it in-place & stretched tight. Several sharp awls stabbed through the carpet & bolt holes are even better, in addition to the weights. Don't be afraid to remove some backing material if necessary, but keep a can of spray adhesive handy to put the scraps back onto the carpet where they'll do some good. Give it a good dose of Automotive Febreeze & Lysol disinfectant aerosol, and fix all the water leaks. If the truck has a front gas tank, be VERY cautious with the screws for the hold-downs near the driver's door.

I put a 3-piece kit into Frank's '75:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kind of on topic.

Has anyone found a good OEM or aftermarket carpet liner out of another vehicle that would work in the EB with or without the rear seat?

My wife has a newer Explorer and I bought a Ford liner for the rear and it is nice to throw crap back there without worrying about it leaking on stuff.

OP
OP
Iowabronco68

Iowabronco68

Things went pretty well so far, going to let it set for a few days then put the hold down strips and seats back in.

Attachments

• IMG_1381[1].jpg
    IMG_1381[1].jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 219

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For holes in soft material like rubber, carpet, and padding, I have used spent shell casings. Rim fire shells like a 22LR or 30-30 don't work well but others without the lip work good.

Chuck a good round casing in a 1/2" cordless drill so the open end is out. Lay the edge down on a flat file and turn slowly in the direction of the cutting teeth on the file. After maybe a dozen revolutions, you should have a decent edge cut on the leading edge of the casing. Now with the casing still in the drill you can cut a nice round hole in the soft material. I usually don't like to cut straight down onto steel as it will dull the cutter pretty fast but insert a board or something under the cut to save the cutter.

I find empty casings at our gates since a lot of folks shoot but don't clean up. I have a stash of .223 - .45's that fit most of my needs.

Mustangs2

1) Get a good pair of carpet type scissors. You can use them for other purposes.

2) Whatever method you use to locate holes (ie. Measuring, sharp object from underneath where possible), consider using a hot single-pointed soldering gun to burn holes in carpet for seat hold down bolts and seat belts. It works beautifully and leaves a nice hole.

3) Also, if using carpet hold down strips, do not trim all the material away to perfection. Instead, get your carpet laid out, situate the carpet trim piece by leaving an inch or so of excess material outside trim area, screw down carpet, then cut the excess material with a good pair of sharp scissors.

4) anticipate all wiring before hand, add additional wiring for good measure, and measure and document where your wires are located, specifically.

5) Take your time

Good luck

I remember that job...I used most all of the strategies listed by others who have posted responses. I did use glue and carpet jute padding as well. One other thing I did was find a retired custom upholstery guy and established a friendship with him. I just told him I wanted to learn more about his craft and he was happy to offer advice. I even went over to his house and provided him beverages while he watched and offered consultation. He never got directly involved but did offer lots of wisdom from 40+ years of experience. Others may feel differently, but the kits get you about 90% there...the rest is stretching, fitting, cutting, working the materials to work with your rig. I don't think any two Bronco are just the same. If you can get access to a steamer...even it you rent it...It helped me to have one.

The relationships built along the way are one of the big reasons I love this hobby.

Enjoy the ride...All the best!

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
OP
OP
Iowabronco68

Iowabronco68

Got the trim installed, I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out. Will get the seats and roll bar back in it next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1386[1].jpg
    IMG_1386[1].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 232

gray gables

I remember that job...I used most all of the strategies listed by others who have posted responses. I did use glue and carpet jute padding as well. One other thing I did was find a retired custom upholstery guy and established a friendship with him. I just told him I wanted to learn more about his craft and he was happy to offer advice. I even went over to his house and provided him beverages while he watched and offered consultation. He never got directly involved but did offer lots of wisdom from 40+ years of experience. Others may feel differently, but the kits get you about 90% there...the rest is stretching, fitting, cutting, working the materials to work with your rig. I don't think any two Bronco are just the same. If you can get access to a steamer...even it you rent it...It helped me to have one.

The relationships built along the way are one of the big reasons I love this hobby.

Enjoy the ride...All the best!
nice work, especially around the wheel wells. I found that to be the hardest part.

OP
OP
Iowabronco68

Iowabronco68

Got my freshly covered seats back in it, pretty happy the way it turned out. Now looking to get some stock seat belts in it, any help on what the stock belts look like for a 73 and where they are mounted would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.jpg
    IMG_1547.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 113

leucbronc

Belts if you want em!

Thanks for this post... I am getting ready to install the TBP carpet kit as well and this is really helpful.

By the way, I am upgrading my seatbelts and have a set of used but safe front and rear belts (4 pair total) if you want them.

cdj7k

I have used leather hole punches for holes in carpet. They work real well. Tandy leather had options of sizes a few years back.

leucbronc

cutting holes

Hey guys, thanks for the thread. I just installed the tbp premium carpet and came up with a great way for making nice bolt holes.

1. leave all bolts in
2. use a 9/16 socket to find the bolt... spin it a couple times so it leave a mark on the carpet.
3. take an old 3/4 (or so) socket with vice grips, heat it with a torch then just push it over the bolt head using the mark from step two as a guide.

leaves a perfect hole, singed to keep things from fraying.

hope this helps someone!