• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn wiring assistance needed

Hinmaton

I have an ididit tilt column from WH4x4 in my 74. I recently replaced the Grant steering wheel with an original SW and horn ring that is in decent shape. The horn mechanism was not functional when I purchased the project, but I’d really like to get it hooked up so I can register the vehicle legitimately.
I am confused how the horn switch is intended to function and will it work with combining a modern tilt column with an original steering wheel.
I have checked the wiring at the column and there is no voltage at the horn stud/button thing.
dd1d9049f853fa419248a04e42b7f161.jpg

Should there be with ignition on?
I have bench tested the horn, and it works fine.
a5581a967c2d11ac3856f08039166b39.jpg

I checked continuity from the horn stud down passed the column wiring connection- B/R wire. No signal, but the connection is good.
fac1869a6260fe035ddfe19d4ccaabf0.jpg

I checked the wiring diagram and see that a Y wire brings signal to the horn switch (which I did not find) and then the B/R wire goes from switch to horn relay (which I do not know where to look for) from which a Y/G wire runs from dash to horn. I was able to peel away some of the harness sheath in the engine bay and followed from the horn to a penetration in the far right corner of the firewall.
I could peel away the sheath under the dash, but it would more helpful if I knew the area of the dash that that wire pokes back out (at the relay).

Can anyone provide any feedback or insights?

This is the wiring diagram I was using, note that it’s for 73-74 but it shows wiring for 73 only for the horn and then mentions that 74 horn wiring is the same as 75...
1125f92bb06b77f82be294c2dbd7cae4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

snoddas

If you have horn relay (with 3 prong contact) its the blue with yellow tracer which will make ground to the horn relay. See picture (turn signal mechanism/electric wiring).

I assume its the small knob that transfer the ground to the steering wheels small copper point (they are isolated on white plastic pieces). Horn botton will make contact with them when you push it then honk honk.

Horn relay:
yellow to postive + (start solonoid)
yellow with green tracer to horn
blue with yellow tracer to horn switch (steering wheel).

/Anders

Last edited:

snoddas

Hi again,
The wiring diagram is for non horn relay broncos.
Maybe check -75 diagram (with horn relay).

/Anders

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Hi again,

The wiring diagram is for non horn relay broncos.

Maybe check -75 diagram (with horn relay).

/Anders

I’m not even sure I have a horn relay- any idea where I would find it? Under the dash I assume, but it near?

Hinmaton

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

Anyone have a ‘74-‘75 diagram showing horn wiring? I checked the library that Greg83 has and wasn’t able to find it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your steering column has the '74 and later style turn signal switch/horn button. So you'll need to update the Bronco's wiring to a relay setup.
If your old steering wheel is from a '73 or older, it won't work. Has to be a '74 or later wheel.

Hooking up a relay is very easy though, and very well worth it for the better performance you get out of your horn too.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone have a ‘74-‘75 diagram showing horn wiring? I checked the library that Greg83 has and wasn’t able to find it.

You mean Steve83? I'm surprised it wasn't in his diagrams.
Either way though, you just need to get a standard relay, or even the odd Ford factory relay. Both are readily available, but a standard cube shaped "Bosch type" relay might be best for availability and ease of use.

You'll need a couple of new wires, but not too much trouble.
I'll see if I can find a diagram. Does Steve have '75 and later ones done yet?

Paul

OP
OP
Hinmaton

Hinmaton

You mean Steve83? I'm surprised it wasn't in his diagrams.
Either way though, you just need to get a standard relay, or even the odd Ford factory relay. Both are readily available, but a standard cube shaped "Bosch type" relay might be best for availability and ease of use.

You'll need a couple of new wires, but not too much trouble.
I'll see if I can find a diagram. Does Steve have '75 and later ones done yet?

Paul

Yes Steve- sorry.
I did not see any in his database.
Where physically would the horn relay reside. I did notice a spare 3 pin connector under my dash. It looks identical to the turn signals final flasher connector. Thought maybe it was for the hazards (which aren’t functioning).
Could this be for the horn? I have a spare relay.

Hinmaton

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that I think about it, yours actually should have had a relay, based on the color of the wire at the horn. If it was an early model with no relay, the wire color would have been the Blue w/yellow instead.

The relay connector would be under the hood, over by the passenger side inner fender skirt. Just about mid-way back along the wheel well.
It would be an elongated triangle thingy with three wires. A Yellow wire that runs over to the starter relay's battery side and supplies the horn power.
A Blue w/yellow that runs up to the steering column and grounds the circuit.
And the Yellow w/green that runs to the horn.
The relay itself grounds through it's metal case to the body.

Actually, I take that last bit back. I don't actually know that it has any kind of grounding through the case. Only that the case is metal and bolts to the body. This "usually" means some sort of connection to the body, but does not guarantee it.
Especially with Broncos!

Paul