Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 09/24/18, 09:28 AM   #1
BGBronco
Contributor

Nashvile
Garage
Wild Horses 1.5" Suspension Lift?

I have a 76, C4, Cut Fenders, 33/12.5/15 tires.

This is primarily an on-road, in-town vehicle. I would like to get the ride dialed in and also have the front / rear basically level.

I'm not sure what lift components I currently have but it's 1.5" front / 2.5" rear.

I'm assuming the rear lift is coming from add-a-leaf's on the original springs and the front lift height is possibly from sagging 2.5" coils. Body height is stock.

I had the WH Premium Bilstein 2.5" lift on my previous Bronco and liked it.

However, I'm thinking about using the same components but going with 1.5" Leaf / Coil Springs and Stock Height Bilsteins.

Ordering soon. Would appreciate your thoughts / comments. Thank you!

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...o_Leaf_Springs

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...o_coil_springs

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...hock_Absorbers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	461290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2058.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	461291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	461292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	461293  

76. Crate 302. FiTech. C4. 33x12.5x15. PS. PDB. 1.5" WH Lift. KrawlersEdge Cage.
BGBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/18, 10:44 AM   #2
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
I am in the same boat as you. I have a 77 that was really nose down. My measurements from axle to frame is 6" in front and 7.75" in the rear. I debated long and hard to either go 1 1/2 from WH or 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 from BG. I just placed my order today with the 2.5" from BG. partly because I felt I have more flexibility with the extra height and getting it level by added a small block in the rear if needed. Plus them being in MI was a heck of a lot closer to me in PA so shipping was cheaper. Another reason I guess is that I wanted all Polyurethane bushings and I prefer red so BG has them in red.....
svastano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/18, 10:54 AM   #3
JCBombardier
Contributor

Rock Hill, SC
Garage
Here’s the best pic I have with the WH 1.5” coils up front with 30x9.5 tires and 170 engine.

The rear is a 1” block on what I presume is stock leaf springs but they may also have an add a leaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JCBombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/18, 11:24 AM   #4
TX SS
Contributor

Houston, TX
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBombardier View Post
Here’s the best pic I have with the WH 1.5” coils up front with 30x9.5 tires and 170 engine.

The rear is a 1” block on what I presume is stock leaf springs but they may also have an add a leaf.

Nice looking Bronco. Do you have a body lift as well?

1973 Sequoia Brown Metallic
1973 Tampico Yellow
TX SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/18, 11:28 AM   #5
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Yikes BGB! That's got to be the thickest add-a-leaf I've ever seen put in an Early Bronco!
That size leaf is usually meant for full-size pickups. Seen the like for old Chevy trucks from the 60's and 70's so I bet it rides pretty "firm" to say the least.
New springs, or at least a thinner add-a-leaf would likely go a long way towards a better street ride.

Certainly updating the shocks will go a long way too. Those bushings are toasted pretty good, so probably the shocks have been on there for some time now. Glad you're going through it to upgrade.
With those bushings looking like they do, I would certainly check out the body bushings too. Just to make sure they're not too crushed.

You've already seen how the Bilstein shocks can work. Be interested to hear your feelings when this one is all done too.
I think you're on the right track with minimal lift, especially if it's still got the Inverted-Y steering.
That '76 should be a pretty good road rig at that point.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/18, 11:30 AM   #6
JCBombardier
Contributor

Rock Hill, SC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX SS View Post
Nice looking Bronco. Do you have a body lift as well?

Thanks!

Yes, I should’ve mentioned a 1” body lift as well.

JCBombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/18, 03:15 PM   #7
BGBronco
Contributor

Nashvile
Garage
It's fine on a smooth road, until I hit a pebble! What does the complete package look like for this set up? Basically what I have listed or and I missing anything? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDonk View Post
Yikes BGB! That's got to be the thickest add-a-leaf I've ever seen put in an Early Bronco!
That size leaf is usually meant for full-size pickups. Seen the like for old Chevy trucks from the 60's and 70's so I bet it rides pretty "firm" to say the least.
New springs, or at least a thinner add-a-leaf would likely go a long way towards a better street ride.

Certainly updating the shocks will go a long way too. Those bushings are toasted pretty good, so probably the shocks have been on there for some time now. Glad you're going through it to upgrade.
With those bushings looking like they do, I would certainly check out the body bushings too. Just to make sure they're not too crushed.

You've already seen how the Bilstein shocks can work. Be interested to hear your feelings when this one is all done too.
I think you're on the right track with minimal lift, especially if it's still got the Inverted-Y steering.
That '76 should be a pretty good road rig at that point.

Paul

76. Crate 302. FiTech. C4. 33x12.5x15. PS. PDB. 1.5" WH Lift. KrawlersEdge Cage.
Old 09/24/18, 03:16 PM   #8
BGBronco
Contributor

Nashvile
Garage
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBombardier View Post

Old 09/24/18, 07:24 PM   #9
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBronco View Post
What does the complete package look like for this set up? Basically what I have listed or and I missing anything?
Nope. Pretty much all there is to it.
Front and rear springs, and four shocks, and you're down the road.
In theory...

The Inverted-Y steering linkage is the most finicky when lifted, but not everybody has issues with it. And for only 1 and a half inches? Probably nothing to worry about and everything else can run stock.
The shocks would be stock length (basically the same between zero and two inches of lift) and should work just fine assuming you have the stock mounts still. Looks like it though.

Now for the only issue. Springs!
I'm not sure what the status on them is. A few members got them already, but the fact that they're not on our website yet tells me that there is some delay.
I'll find out what's up tomorrow (if nobody here already has inquired about it) and let you know.

Hopefully it's just a temporary glitch...

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 09/24/18, 08:06 PM   #10
TX SS
Contributor

Houston, TX
Garage
Quote:

Now for the only issue. Springs!
I'm not sure what the status on them is. A few members got them already, but the fact that they're not on our website yet tells me that there is some delay.
I'll find out what's up tomorrow (if nobody here already has inquired about it) and let you know.

Hopefully it's just a temporary glitch...

Paul
Aren’t these the referenced springs on the WH website? Which c bushings with these, 4 or 7 degrees?

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...o_coil_springs

1973 Tampico Yellow
Old 09/24/18, 08:13 PM   #11
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Haha! Thanks TX. Yes, they're there. I jumped to the "Suspension Systems" page by mistake and they're not listed there so I panicked and thought something was wrong.

Thanks for setting me straight. And guaranteeing me a good night's sleep tonight too!

Paul

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 09/24/18, 08:19 PM   #12
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Regarding C-bushings, it's almost the same answer as for most lifts. Depends on how much caster was built into your axle from the factory, and how much you want.

If you had the specified caster, or if you still have manual steering, then even the 2° bushings would be desirable.
But for most of us, if you already have power steering, the 7° bushings would be called for.

Any chance you already have a printout of your alignment settings? If not, any chance you feel like spending a little money and throwing it on an alignment rack to get a printout?
If not, and your Bronco is a '66 through '75, I'd go with the 7's. If it's a '76 or '77, I'd go with 4's.
But as we found out just recently, not all Broncos were created the same. One member (sorry, forgot who) found they had lots of caster even with 3.5" lift springs. And theirs was not a later Bronco either. It was one of the '75 and older models, that just happened to have lots of caster built into it.

But the bottom line is I'd really want to know exactly how much caster I'm going to end up with because that will let me get the best combination of handling and steering effort, without too much drama.
And the less bushing you can get away with, the less angle on your front pinion/u-joint.

Up to a point, more caster is better. But also up to a point, your u-joint can only handle so much angle.
If you never put it in 4wd, then just leave the front shaft off, put the biggest c-bushing in there, and go for the gusto in the caster department.

As you can see, even with as little lift as just 1.5 inches, caster still comes up as something of an issue.

Paul

www.wildhorses4x4.com
Old 09/24/18, 09:16 PM   #13
TX SS
Contributor

Houston, TX
Garage
Quote:
Regarding C-bushings, it's almost the same answer as for most lifts. Depends on how much caster was built into your axle from the factory, and how much you want.

If you had the specified caster, or if you still have manual steering, then even the 2° bushings would be desirable.
But for most of us, if you already have power steering, the 7° bushings would be called for.

Any chance you already have a printout of your alignment settings? If not, any chance you feel like spending a little money and throwing it on an alignment rack to get a printout?
If not, and your Bronco is a '66 through '75, I'd go with the 7's. If it's a '76 or '77, I'd go with 4's.
But as we found out just recently, not all Broncos were created the same. One member (sorry, forgot who) found they had lots of caster even with 3.5" lift springs. And theirs was not a later Bronco either. It was one of the '75 and older models, that just happened to have lots of caster built into it.

But the bottom line is I'd really want to know exactly how much caster I'm going to end up with because that will let me get the best combination of handling and steering effort, without too much drama.
And the less bushing you can get away with, the less angle on your front pinion/u-joint.

Up to a point, more caster is better. But also up to a point, your u-joint can only handle so much angle.
If you never put it in 4wd, then just leave the front shaft off, put the biggest c-bushing in there, and go for the gusto in the caster department.

As you can see, even with as little lift as just 1.5 inches, caster still comes up as something of an issue.

Paul
Paul - Thanks for response as always. I have a 1973 with power steering. Can’t take the Bronco for pre-measurements as it’s a non running project. Have been eyeing these springs and will then need to buy bushings too (already bought stock height Bilstein shocks). I have similar setup on my other 1973, PS, Bilstein, except with 1” Moog springs and I think I did 4 degree bushings on it. Had it aligned at a friends shop but failed to get print out of specs.

1973 Tampico Yellow
Old 09/25/18, 02:13 PM   #14
BGBronco
Contributor

Nashvile
Garage
$1083 later (+ Shipping), I'm all in on the 1.5" lift.

Old 09/26/18, 01:23 AM   #15
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Cool! Thanks a lot too. Glad to have you as a repeat customer, naturally!
Let us know how it goes together, and how you like it after you've driven it a bit.

Hopefully your steering doesn't mind the slight lift. Most don't until you get to 2.5 and more, but you know how that goes with the "most don't" part.
There's always one...

Paul

www.wildhorses4x4.com

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat