Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 04/18/05, 09:34 PM   #1
Eagles

Philadelphia
No doors legal? What about nets?

I pulled the doors and top off my 75 bronco in preparation for the summer, but I've been told having no doors is illegal. Is this true? In all states (I live in PA)? If so, can I get around this by using some sort of netting in place of the door and does anybody sell such a product?
Old 04/18/05, 09:41 PM   #2
broncomanbrad

Snow? What's snow?

Roseau, MN

My Gallery
Whoa! First time I've heard that. It shouldn't be illegal, as long as you have seatbelts.
Old 04/18/05, 09:42 PM   #3
Steve
Bronco Guru

GOT MOAB?

Grand Junction, CO

My Gallery
Can't speak for PA, but here in CO and the surrounding states, including UT, there is no such law. I would seriously doubt that there's a PA state law against having no doors.

69 narrowed 8 inches, locked F&R, big tires, EFI, Atlas, winch, blah, blah, blah
Old 04/18/05, 09:46 PM   #4
supermottl
Bronco Guru

hi

Indian Harbour Bch,
that's not illegal here in NY, Long Island.. that'd suck hard if I could rompa round the beach like that...

1973, Red, 302 w/headers, 4spd top loader, twin stick D20, 4 wheel disc, Hydroboost, Ron Francis, Custom Dash by me, Kayline, Protofabs, Piaa, 35" Generals, MT Classic IIs, Tuffy, Full Autometer spread, 4.10 Detroit/TracLock, 31 splined Yukons, yada yada
Old 04/18/05, 10:16 PM   #5
Broncofarm

The people you are talking to may have misunderstood why it is illegal to have the doors off. It can be illegal if your drivers side mirror is on your door and you have no other drivers side mirror. Its a problem with not having mirrors though not the doors.
Old 04/19/05, 12:30 AM   #6
commonlaw

Indecision may or may not be my problem...

Seattle
eBay: dahui2

My Gallery
I did the same research when I modified my ride as well. Being a bit cautious as an attorney and because my EB is a daily driver, I found that the main things you MUST have in most states is mirrors, windshield, horn, seatbelts. Doors are rarely required (and certainly not in WA). I am just waitin for the cop to pull me over for not having doors and then I pull the Revised Code of Washington out and burn his ass (let's just hope that he doesnt notice that I am missing my horn).

Also, in some instances, your vehicles' attributes are grandfathered into legality. If you want to know for sure just hop on the internet and look at your state's statutes.

"Lordy I have loved some ladies, and I have loved Jim Beam, and they both tried to kill me, in 1973."
Old 04/19/05, 12:33 AM   #7
SaddleUp
BANNED

Nothing like a good stretch!

Vancouver, WA

My Gallery
This is borrowed from another thread here discussing the same thing. http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums...ad.php?t=46495

PA Code 175.77. Body:
(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Keep in mind that this doesn't say absense of a top makes it okay to run without doors. Rather it doesn't need to open and close securely where the top isn't there.

The only way I see around this is to convince them that your EB was available without doors from the factory. Might get sticky though if it actually wasn't for your year.
Old 04/19/05, 02:12 AM   #8
SteveL
Huge chevy guy

66 &72 w/351, 4spd, 4whl disc.

Hawthorne, ca
There is an amendment to the horn law if you have a "horn broken watch for finger" liscense plate ring.
Old 04/19/05, 02:46 AM   #9
Skuzzlebutt
PhD, Dr. of Broncology

I am Skuzzlebutt, Lord of the Mountain!

Honeymoon Bay

My Gallery
The laws naturely vary by state, and some are very poorly writtten. Usually if the doors were originally designed to be removable you are in the clear. We all know that for a few years Broncos were available without doors, but that doesn't specificly mean the doors were meant to be removable. In atleast one state (Utah I think) the law specifies all vehicles must have doors, excluding Jeeps.
It would be prudent to spend $10 on eBay to get a reproduction Ford sales brouchure showing the Roadster option and keep it in you glove box or console.
Personaly, while I like the look of the roadsters, I like being able to roll up the windows on really tight trails. Getting THWACKED in the ear or eye by a protruding branch is not something you will soon forget :'(

Chris from Whidbey Island
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
Old 04/19/05, 05:27 AM   #10
67ster
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Skuzzlebut speaks the truth about Utah's door law or interpretation therof . Carry a laminated Ford ad showing the roadster option as most law enforcement (even the administator and lawmakers!) don't realize it exists. I contacted a friend that works for the state DMV and after sending a picture of an original Ford ad , her supervisor said the law wasn't researched well enough . It also depends on the attitude of the enforcement official and the motorist in some cases . Side impact safety was the idea behind the law ,seatbelts for sure , a rollgage , inserts and perhaps a net or doorbar will satisfy John Law when shown the proof . Just another case of our lawmakers protecting us from ourselves !
Old 04/19/05, 06:00 AM   #11
chris
Contributor
No more Rock Crawler

Learning it all the hard way, But I am learning!

Hatboro, Pa

My Gallery
Pa is very strange with that law.

I hear you should not run through Skippack as the cops constantly pull Jeeps over for no doors.

I build a set of tube doors so I could get around the issue.
Old 04/19/05, 07:44 AM   #12
wildbill
Contributor
Old Bronco Guy

Broncos Rule! WildBill's 66

Topeka Kansas USA
Thumbs up

I sure hope its legal to go doorless as havent run doors since 74 and have never been stoped for that. Its run Ca., Az. mexico Ks. and Mo. never a problem good luck to you. Bill
Old 04/19/05, 07:51 AM   #13
Grunt1058
Bronco Guru

Everythings for sale if the price is right!!!

Land of Entrapment
State Laws: A-H

In an effort to quell some of the questions that come across the forums here, I have compiled some of hte links below which can guide you in your endeavors to modify your Bronco and remain in the limits of the law. Now, bear in mind that the laws in any state can (and will) change without notice, and the changes may not be listed on the web sites. Regardless of whether it is called a "law", "statute" or "code", it is your guide to what is legal, and what probably isn't.

Since this is a "VEHICLE RELATED" forum, the links (where possible) are directly to the traffic laws or equipment codes. Others are less user friendly and you will have to search or otherwise navigate yourself. Further, this is only what I have had the time or ability to locate.

Note that I am trying to use a web site that is related to each state in question, so as to provide the (theoretical) best and most up to date source. Some of the states have thier laws, statutes and codes listed on the Lexis Nexis, which is the host for most of the JAVA based sites.

States A-H

ALABAMA LAWS
Go to Title 32

Alaska Title 28 Motor Vehicles

Arizona Title 28 Scroll down to Chapter 3.

Arkansas This one is a bit difficult. In JAVA... find title 27, "Transpotation" and scroll down for "Vehicles and Equipment" for starters.

Here is California. You'll have to search this one. It doesn't appear to be formated so that you can just skim through....

Colorado JAVA again. Use the left side bar. Select Title 42 and expand the tree.

Connecticut I suggest starting at Volume 5, Title 14. Good Luck.

Delaware Title 21 Chapter 43 for equipment.
Here is the menu for Delaware Title 21.

Florida Traffic laws Equipment starts at Fl Code 316.217.

Georgia Codes, Title 40.
40-5-xx driver's licenses
40-6-xx traffic laws
40-8-xx vehicle equipment / requirements

Hawaii This is a searchable database. No browsing, so you hafta know what youre looking for.

09 F150 Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch. 6" lift, 35x12.5x20 Goodyears. A long "wish list" of mods. Still searching for an EB to build/drive and retire my F150 from daily driver duties.
Old 04/19/05, 07:51 AM   #14
TexasBronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Waterford, MI
eBay: 4x4tex
Yeah if there is a law like that it prolly is something like "doors are required unless vehicle was designed to have the doors removed" and in my book 6 bolts are all that is required to remove a bronco door, so I think it was designed to be easily removed.

It doesn't matter whats on the outside, it's what's under the hood that counts.
Old 04/19/05, 07:52 AM   #15
Grunt1058
Bronco Guru

Everythings for sale if the price is right!!!

Land of Entrapment
State Laws: I-M

IDAHO Chapter 9 For Equipment

Illinois Go to Chapter 12

Indiana Titlle 9, Article 19.

Iowa Title 8, Subtitle 2. Starting at 321.384

Kansas This is a list of Vehicle Equipment statutes. Seems you have to read each one individually.

Kentucky This one is easy enough. (ofcourse we are talking about Kentucky...

Louisianna Best I can find. THis one, you'll ave to search by text. Use "REVISED STATUTES" and enter your text. ex: seat belt, tires... etc..

MaineThis is the list of all statutes. Titles 29 and 29-a are for Motor Vehicles.

Maryland Code, Transportation, Title 22.

Massachusetts Sec.7 for most equipment codes.

Michigan

Minnesota Pretty scattered as far as topics go, so here is the easiest way to start.

Mississippi Chapter 007

Missouri Equipment Regulations

Montana Title 61 Chapter 9

09 F150 Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch. 6" lift, 35x12.5x20 Goodyears. A long "wish list" of mods. Still searching for an EB to build/drive and retire my F150 from daily driver duties.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives