• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Factory 16" Wheel Center Caps

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone have a good picture of what the factory center caps would have looked like for a 16" wheel in 1966?

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
I don't think they made 16" wheel covers. I can get you pics of 66 15" wheel covers if you need.

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think they made a smaller center cap, not a full hubcap for the 16" wheels?

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
I made this set and I have seen another 66 on this site with the same cap. I

Attachments

• Mini Body 002.jpg
    Mini Body 002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Mini Body 004.jpg
    Mini Body 004.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 53

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
16" wheels

I don't think there were hub caps on broncos or ford 4x4 trucks.Here is the hubcaps that came on 2wd trucks with 16" wheels 1971 ford F100.

Attachments

• DSC02393.jpg
    DSC02393.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC01912.jpg
    DSC01912.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not to digress too much, but here is a link to a Ford brochure that shows a 4x4 with hubcaps (rear at least):

http://www.fordification.com/library/main.php?g2_itemId=302&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

The interesting thing to me about this subject is that I have opinions on both sides. I know a guy that bought his first Bronco in 1968 and probably has had over a 50-60 since then that says yes, A Bronco parts vendor that says they think so (both saying that it was a smaller center cap), but also several people including here saying they don't think so.

Hopefully someone will have a definitive answer one way or another.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I don't think there were hub caps on broncos or ford 4x4 trucks.Here is the hubcaps that came on 2wd trucks with 16" wheels 1971 ford F100.

Cool looking old truck ford man! I think you should make it your daily driver.....It has dual mirrors on each side....in case a hispanic has his head in the way of one or the other. I see it also has dual tanks...one for gas and the other of diesel for the equipment. I also see cab lights :that will make you look impressive.....er like a "Superduty"...at least at night! ...Persuaded?!?:D:D;D

P.S. It also has the hub caps that are in the old ad link!!!!!

barronj

Bronco Guru

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Okay my friend Emil is 80 years young and knows more about broncos than any of us will ever know. Short part, he does not recall hub caps on any broncos. And or wheel covers on 16" rims. But the jury is open because as he stated Ford did some weird stuff. I call this one closed to NO. Next.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I owned a 67 Roadster with caps that appear like the red ones above. '67 Fairlane I believe? Anyway, front caps had hole for hub and a neat little grey rubber pinch gasket covering where they were meticulously cut. Of course dealers and POs all do meticulous work, so they probably did it, right? Anyway, 2 owner truck. Marti doesn't mention the caps, so it was probably the dealer that did it. Factory ops included: skid plates, mud and snow tires, air cleaner, Dana 30 limited slip, rear seat, fresh air heater, auxiliary step, free running front hub(it's singular...does that mean that Ford only installed one?), cigar lighter, crankcase and exhaust emission system, 70 amp HD batt, Aux tank with skid plate, hand throttle.

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shamu I believe you are correct. With the undeniable information we have it is time to close this case. Thanks for taking the lead!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I too do not believe Ford put caps on the Bronco 16" rims.

-Terry

I have a set of the 16s on my '66..but have no idea if there were ever hub caps on them. Otherwise, I have plenty of the factory hubcaps for the 15" EB wheels.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
The only times I have seen caps on 16" wheels is when someone added "dog dish" caps off a pickup or other app.

We have 16" wheels on our 67 U14 build we're working on and my dad was wanting to add those for some reason (he likes the look I guess?). I am against it since it was not a factory option to my knowledge as I have never seen documentation offering them.

I was wanting to use these optional wheels since it will nicely round out the wheel options on our show rigs:

• 66 6cyl U13 with 15" factory 66 only caps
  • 67 289 U14 with 16" plain HD utility wheels
  • 77 302 U15 Ranger with 15" and factory caps
  • 77 302 U15 Stroppe Ambulance with slot mags

OP
OP
kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the information guys. I was actually disappointed when I found that the wheels I had were 16's because I like the look of a stock hubcap on an uncut Bronco and I have several sets (67-77--no 66's). I also have several sets of dog dish hubcaps but I am just not a big fan of the small center cap.