• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 u13 roadster help

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

I do not have any number on my door frames so who knows what they are.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

I have searched every where to try to figure out tie downs no clue cannot find another example like those.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That is the correct fender/firewall brace, I can see the wire that held the buck tag right above it too. The door dates are easy to see in my 66 u14, but really hard to make out on my 66 u15. Should be on top of the window frame. Not sure if those number were stamped on every year models or not.

brdr1-v_1.1288.jpg

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
My thought has always been, based on peering into a lot of wheelwells over the years, that the rear mounts changed in March coinciding with the introduction of the V8. However, there have been posts either here or on some social media pages in the past few months where one or more folks posted pics of April/May build trucks with the forward facing rear shock mounts. So maybe they continued using them on 6 cylinder trucks later due to a surplus of frames? Or? Anybody's guess at this point due to lack of documentation. I know that Tim (eaglenest66) feels the forward shocks were only used the first few months of production. Sounds like we need to get a survey going of all the '66 guys to see what they have on their trucks.

Todd Z.

Howdy Todd I was one of the ones that told ya my April 66 has the forward facing shocks

Okie now i gotta run out and check my window frames too, didn't know that either! (and i have 2 sets of doors)

also i recall reading on this site more than once that the Roadsters were a hard sell, so many dealers would put hard tops and doors on them to help them sell? or was that maybe only the case with the 67-68 roadsters maybe? -jeff

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Now I have to go look at all of my 66's and check! I love this thread, I am learning as well.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

Is the blue color on the engine common? We pulled the gas tank to clean out and see if it needed restored it even has blue overspray on it.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

This search to figure out things about your Bronco is consuming me. It’s becoming an addiction. I am glad I have some people on here that can help because the Ford Research Team was not as much help as I hoped so far.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While your engine would likely have been Ford Blue, nothing about the rest of your blue paint is normal, if that's what you were wondering.
It's oversprayed on everything that would not normally have been painted.
Your engine compartment is black, as someone said already.
Your heater air intake is painted and would not be.
Your dash is painted body color and would not be. As you can see where the ignition switch bezel was removed.
And now you say your gas tank even has overspray on it. No, that's not normal or correct.

It's very possible however that a business or government entity purchased the vehicle and they painted it their own color. But more than likely someone just gave it a cheap and quick spray-down with the color of their choice.
I don't remember anyone noting that you had an odd DSO such as would be the case with fleet or gov't delivery, so probably just a previous owner.

But the engine would likely have at least had a blue valve cover I would think. But I'm certainly no expert on that engine and ford did use at least three common colors on engines of that era. Blue, black and gold, with blue being the most common that I saw.
But in this group with so many original '66 models someone will know exactly what parts on the engine were painted what color.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
This search to figure out things about your Bronco is consuming me. It’s becoming an addiction. I am glad I have some people on here that can help because the Ford Research Team was not as much help as I hoped so far.

yeah, it gets addictive SO quick....

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome! All roadsters are rare :) You could get them with inserts, hard doors, soft doors and soft top, but no hard top option was ever offered for the u13, someone added it to your bronco or bought one from a dealer and added it. Is it a 66' top or a 67-77 top? There's also no way to determine if it was in the first two hundred built or not, since 66 Bronco vins ran along the line with F100 vins, starting with 732001. Post up pics when you can, we like pics :) I've been gathering 66 u13 vins over the last year and a half, and have found about 450 still existing. Also, there's no such thing as "numbers matching" in the bronco world as well.

Yes sir.. you know that's right

hucklburry rev2

I suspected it wasn't factory paint.

On the doors no keys, you could peak in through the inside - take off interior panel, and see if there is body work around the exterior door handle, to figure if there was a hole for the cylinder or not.

Now this:
u92 f u130 796 c 03

C is manual transmission
03 is 4.11 gears that was common with six cylinders, sometimes they and only they got 4.56
I believe your Bronco is/was F Arcadian Blue which is a lighter color than you posted, google image it?

U92 relates to wheelbase of all Early Broncos at 92"
796 = 7 is front buckets and I think 96 is roadster (996 code would have included a rear seat and roadster)
U130 I think is just the model #

Someone can correct me if I decoded it wrong

hucklburry rev2

And I saw your pic, the 75 is the Phoenix DSO, so in theory it went to a dealer in AZ area for sale when new.

OP
OP
T

Tzorn11

I emailed my guy at Ford research team with the vin plate numbers he will update my letter with new information and I will post it this week. Thanks and toddz69 when your in Phoenix hit me up I would love for you to look at it. I will have it a few more weeks before it goes to frame up restoration.