• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 302 Engine build help/Advice

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
I need to update my original tired old motor. I was thinking of going with an Edelbrock Performance cam, new Headman headers (the originals are just too rusted), Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock timing chain, Edelbrock AVS2 non-egr 4bbl carb, and maybe an MSD distributor. I want the carb bc I want to ditch all the emissions crap. It's driving me wild just looking at it. I want motor and carb like my 1960 f100. I love that little engine.

With that said, I'm stuck on installing new headers. Edelbrock makes an E Street performance package that offers aluminum headers and throws in the timing chain, cam, etc for $1600. However, I then need to add new roller rockers, valve covers, etc. for an additional $350 estimate. I could use the original rockers from the old motor but I'm not sure if I could cause problems down the line using the old rockers with new aluminum headers.

My question, my bronco is basically a street crawler. I'm not looking to do anything crazy. Should I just stick with the performance cam, timing chain, distributor, headers, and carb and call it a day? I'd like to stay married, and not getting that look from my wife for dropping in $3K in just the motor would save me a ton of stress. Any of you gents have any advice on how to wake up the little 302 motor while keeping costs down? Thank you sooooo much in advance. Full disclosure, I just put in $4K in sheet metal from Toms Bronco parts so my wife is giving me the "look." Adding more costs to the motor might get me time on the couch. I've looked on Google, but most topics are 3-5 years old.

Again, thank you soooo much in advance

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I tend to do things different.....so this is just and option......

I would buy this or something similar https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1997-ford-explorer/6477586501.html

Pull the engine and drop it in the Bronco. Keep all the EFI parts for a later upgrade or sell it as a package to someone. Scrap the rest of the Explorer and get a few bucks. Part out what you can.....

You get good heads, good cam (low end torque), and an engine that more than likely still has crosshatching in the bores. Also get a front dress that works well on the Bronco with upgraded alternator and PS pump. Bet you pick up 100 plus HP over what you have now.

If the engine is tired it needs a full rebuild.

Tim

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
I'd have to mod so much to get this motor into the bronco. I was hoping to keep the engine original as much as possible. Call me old-fashioned.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I tend to do things different.....so this is just and option......

I would buy this or something similar https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1997-ford-explorer/6477586501.html

Pull the engine and drop it in the Bronco. Keep all the EFI parts for a later upgrade or sell it as a package to someone. Scrap the rest of the Explorer and get a few bucks. Part out what you can.....

You get good heads, good cam (low end torque), and an engine that more than likely still has crosshatching in the bores. Also get a front dress that works well on the Bronco with upgraded alternator and PS pump. Bet you pick up 100 plus HP over what you have now.

If the engine is tired it needs a full rebuild.

Tim
me too I have seen some a lot cheaper too

KeithKinPhx

I'm with you on the staying somewhat original and staying married (22 years now). I want reliability more than anything. I am putting in things the Ford engineers didn't have available to them in 1968.

In 97 the timing gear disintegrated so I put in a mild comp cam, duel timing chain and new lifters. Later I added the Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake. I kept the original heads.

This fall I added th FiTech 400 EFI and a new gas tank. Just last last night I dropped in the Pertronix billet distributor. I have some videos up on YouTube under Rising Phoenix Bronco.

You don't need to drop a fortune on the truck; just add selective upgrades. The idea of a new power plant has its appeal (and costs) but I value being able to say "the original 289 is still going strong." I just fail to mention the EFI, cam, intake, etc. In reality over the years of step by step upgrades the only thing original left is the the block, pistons, heads and timing gear cover.

This spring I am doing a major overhaul by adding AC, a 4R70W automatic, Idit column, twin stick and refurbishing the interior. My wife was onboard once I mentioned new seats, rollbar and 3 point seat belts. She likes safety. Got to know your wife's needs.

I am keeping the Dana 20 transfer case, Dana 30 front axel and original rear axel. All of which are good enough for city driving and light off road use. Maybe next year we will look at new springs, shocks and a sway bar.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Not knowing how tired the original is I can only advise as to what I would.......I'm not a fan of rebuilding the old blocks unless you're building a show quality resto rig. I do get it. I kept the original look and block in my 69 Mach 1 but I took it out a few notches during the rebuild.

Swapping in an explorer motor and putting on the original Bronco front dress is an option. I looked at doing this back several years ago before I decided to go 351W. I'll try and dig up that original post with info....

Not going to go into all the details but you need to change a few things (balancer and flywheel if manual flex plate if auto), Add an external fuel pump (electric). Us the Explorer exhaust manifolds for the GT40P heads. Change the distributor gear. Put the E-brock intake on with carb and away you go.

I think in the long run you same money over rebuilding the original engine. Now if the original is in great shape and don't need a rebuild, then just a cam swap (your choice of cam) is prob the way to go.

Before you do anything, check out the motor you have now. Do a compression check and maybe pop one of the main caps to see how the bearings and crank look. last thing you want to do is put in the new cam and such only to then turn around and have to rebuild a few months later.....

Tim

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. This is such good advice. One more question, if I went with the E-Street performer heads from Edelbrock is it a must to use the high lift rockers or will the stock rockers off of the original heads be ok? Is it best practices to swap rockers when doing an engine rebuild? The guy from Crane tech support said I'd lose 15-30hp if I used the stock rockers off of the old heads. If I use the high lift rockers then I need to use different valve covers that are taller. If I use the original stock rockers then I can use the old valve covers.

Thank you in advance,

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Proper valvetrain geometry is critical in getting the most out of any upgrade.

I would follow manufactures suggestions and or recommendation when using there power packages or components.

Tim

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Get high lift (1.7 or 1.6) Roller Fulcrum and Roller Tip rockers. Harland Sharp makes a nice set for sbf's.

rguest3

Bronco Guru
Texasdude - I just had a 302 rebuilt for my 69 Build.

+.030 Bored 302 Block with 9.6:1 Ratio Pistons and Moly Rings.
Balanced Rotating Assembly
Comp Cam XE262H Cam with Lifters and Timing Chain
1.6 Ratio Comp Cam Roller Rockers
Edelbrock E-Street 170cc Heads
Weiand Street Intake - Extra Coolant Port For EFI Temp Sensor
FiTech 600HP EFI With Timing Control
MSD Pro-Billet Distributor - Mechanical Advance Locked-Out.

This is a nice 302 build for a street driven Bronco.