• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Dana 44 build has any one done this

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I have a 77 dana 44 housing with no outers{I used the outers on a 73 build}I have 73 drum brake outers on it now. I have some parts that I wont to use up like chevy disk brake kit and some warn axles that were for a 1975 drum /chevy disk conversion kit .I want to use the 77 housing because it has the brackets for the original sway bar witch I have along with the radius arms. I believe all this will work and I will have more room for more back space on wheels that can be a problem for 76/77 disk frontends "15"rim with 4"back space "wheels that I already have. So does any one see a problem with what I am about to do I think I am good but I am just throwing it out for maybe some one to set me strait if I am wrong or not thinking of something Thanks

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should be good. I have Chevy disc conversion with the pre 76/77 knuckles on a 77 housing.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I ran a '76 or '77 housing I got a deal on since someone already robbed the knuckles and brakes. Found a set of early drum knuckles, bolted them on, used my old D30 tie rod, chopped a track bar to length (due to lift) until I got the track bar riser built and used the original D30 track bar. And used the chevy brakes I had on the D30.

All worked great.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It will work basically a standard disc brake conversion on a drum braked D44 that just happens to have a 77 housing.