• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 frame nutsert removal

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Guys
Just wondering if anyone has removed the 77 gas tank nutserts from the rear of the frame before before.
I want to install a trailer hitch to the frame railthe gas tank skid plate used to bolt up to the end of the frame rail in 3places now have the 23 gallon tank so I don’t need those but the nutserts inside of the frame are in the way of putting in the plate for the trailer hitch. Thinking of trying to pound them out from underneath with a bolt inserted in it but wondering if there are any other ideas

Thanks for any help

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Grind them off...should work whether they're pressed or welded.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yea they are inside the frame rail so can’t grind them and I don’t see any welds and they are not the shape of regular nuts
Maybe time for a BFH

thirdtime

Contributor
Drilled mine out so I could bolt my hitch up. Also added a 23 gallon tank so I didn't need the inserts either. I did have to make a custom set of rear tabs for my tank because they interfered with my hitch (Toms). I'm using the BC tank, the strap type wouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks I’ll just drill them out yea I have the unistrut tabs, will probably have to alter those. By tank with tbp hitch

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Might try a long bolt and jack up on the bolt. If pressed in should press out. If welded then your stuck drilling.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks RT, that’s a good idea to see if it will just pop out

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
just in case anyone was wondering, they pop out used a socket an a extension and a hammer

SeaVee

Contributor
So- should have searched this before I went at it. Took a few hours this afternoon to try and remove few of these I snapped. Got aggressive with the hole punch and one popped out clean as a whistle. Can you get hold of these things and weld them back in? I have some pics but can’t figure out how to post.
Thanks!