• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1988 Donor F250. 351W and ZF (4WD) Good deal?

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
So I just found an F250 with the 351W and ZF. Runs and drives well. 182k miles I think. the truck is rough but the drive train seems solid. The guy wants 1500 for it. seems high to me but just wanted some more opinions. Local junkyards want a fortune for the ZF in CA as they're pretty rare in this area. Why do I want a new tranny? I don't like the feel of the NP435. too clunky for me.

I am thinking of upgrading my tired 302 pretty soon. I would rebuild the 351 for sure.

I currently have an NP435/205 so the ZF will bolt up with no adapters. I realize I will have to re-gear to utilize the OD.

Mainly going to be used for street and light trail driving. probably going to go with a simple carb setup for now. maybe a howell efi or something in the future. I appreciate any feedback on this.

Can someone also confirm if that 351W would be a roller? I am a little confused on the truck motors. Thank you in advance.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not a roller 5.8 no rollers until 94. overall that price is way to high for just a engine and tranny that needs rebuilding. Even though you could probably gt a few dollers out of it by parting the rest out or scraping it but still thats way high.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
California prices make it hard to judge. But it sounds a little high to me. Probably about right for the vehicle as a whole, but you are after a transmission and a core 351W. If you said F350 I would feel better as you would have a straight axle you could sell, the F250 will be a worthless TTB front end.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
1500 for the entire truck? The ZF is worth ~half that, the motor is a good core, the rear axle should be good along with the tcase. Pull whatever parts you want and then scrap it, you will come out ahead, probably get ~300 for the truck in scrap alone.

OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will pass for now. I almost have him convinced to part it out. If he does I'll jump. Thanks again.