• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2000 Mercury Mountaineer engine won’t start

Jedeka

Contributor
I bought a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer a year ago. I am trying to make sure it is a running engine, before I do much work to it and install it in my 74. It was cranking, but would not fire. I cannot hear the fuel pump run and my fuel pressure gauge shows there is no fuel pressure at the rail. I am getting power to the fuel tank, so I am assuming the fuel pump is bad. I don’t want to buy a replacement fuel pump for this Mountaineer, unless I can use it on the Bronco. Is there and fuel tank setup that uses the stock Explorer/Mountaineer fuel pump? I could buy the fuel pump that is needed on the Bronco, cut pigtail from the Mountaineer fuel pump and temporarily wire the new fuel pump. Then, I could put some clean fuel in a gas can and suck from that. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

Jedeka

Contributor
I removed the fuel pump and tested it. It doesn’t work. I found a universal pump on Amazon that is compatible with the Mountaineer. I spent $25 and it will be here tomorrow. I will buy a better pump setup when I get an engine in the Bronco. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

Jedeka

Contributor
I got my replacement starter bolted up this morning and it will crank over. My Amazon fuel pump didn’t show up until 6:30 tonight. I am excited to get it installed to see if this 5.0 will start up. I threw on a new oil and fuel filter for cheap insurance.

Mr. Lav

I purchased an Aero 23 gallon tank and had them cut the hole for the stock explorer fuel pump/sending unit

OP
OP
J

Jedeka

Contributor
Mr. Lav, I came across some older post last night and the Aero tanks were mentioned. Looks like a nice option. Did you weld yours together or have Aero weld it up? Thanks.

Mr. Lav

they welded it up for me. it was also a pretty quick turn around. I like it cause I'm running an 99 explorer with no fuel return line so I can use the stock fuel sending unit/pump