• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

205 t-case, donor vehicle???

zeusakira

Loc.
Butler, PA
I called a couple of junk yards for this but they asked what year auto or standard ect. I am bolting behind a zf. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Merlin76

Got mine from a '79 F250 along with the NP435 tranny from the same donor....
It is one heavy mutha....

Good Luck!

U

Unregistered

i had a 75 f250 with a 205 but it was divoced. the 205 was used it seems by the big three in all of thier trucks at some point.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I know for a fact they were found in, as far as Broncos from 78' to 80' when I was hunting for them. But I found more 208s in 80' Broncos, that may be different for trucks.

Heres some internet stats I found.
---------------------------------------------------------
NP 205
Type: Gear-driven, cast-iron
Low-range ratio: 1.98:1
Weight (lb.): 138
Lubricant: 80- to 90-weight
Length (in.): 13.0 (GM); 16.0 (IH)
Width (in.): 18.0
Height (in.): 12.0
Used by: 1971-1980 Broncos, Blazers, and Ramchargers (and corresponding full-size pickups); the NP 205 is still used on
heavy Dodges. Some Dodge and IH models were longer, "divorce-mounted'' versions. The NP 205 has left- or right-side front outputs and a center rear output. Caution is advised: there were many varieties in NP 205 shaft splines and so forth. A PTO plate can be found on the left side of the 'case.

--------------------------------------
The "Ford" NP205 transfer case uses the 6 bolt circular bolt pattern . It has a left hand drop (driver's side). It is supplied with a 31 spline female input.

Rear Output
Is a 32 spline shaft and will accept a 1310, 1330, or 1350 u-joint yoke, and the 1310 CV yoke.

Front Output
Is customarily a 32 spline shaft, same as the rear with interchangeable yokes.

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_NP205.htm

Last edited:

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I think the only years to be sure are '78 and '79. F-150 and Bronco for sure, but probably F-250 and F-350 too. Prior years may have used a divorced 205 and later may have used a 208.

The '78 will have 1310 series yokes. This is good since the EB uses these and you won't have to swap axle yokes. This is bad because the 1310 is a weaker design. The '79 will have 1330 series yokes.

That being said, you can never tell what you'll find on a Ford during transition times. They used what they had in the parts bins and then cut in the new design. This is also very dependant upon the factory where the vehicle was assembled.

I got a 205 from a '78 Bronco off of e-bay for about $100 shipped from TX to CA, so don't pay too much. People around here wanted $200+. I pulled it apart and put a seal kit from JBG in. Very simple design, but hella heavy. You'll have to notch the ZF mounting flange.

JP