• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 or 302?

Z'sBronco

Loc.
Corvallis
I bought a 1970 Ford Bronco this past summer from a guy who said it had a 289 in it. I decoded the VIN and it says it has a 302 in it. When I went back to the guy I bought it from he told me that he thinks the engine was replaced with a 289. Is there a way by looking at the engine I can tell if it does have a 302 or a 289 in it? Thanks the new guy.

nrramse

There's a part number cast into the block that tells what it is and even what vehicle it came from. Unfortunately, I think the starter has to come off in order to see the casting. The starter isn't too bad to take off, generally, but I hope someone has an easier idea.

Newell

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You could take the oil pan off and find the casting number on the crankshaft but that sounds like even more work.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
drop the starter and look at the casting numbers. Also take a valve cover off and see what heads you have. 289 or 302 heads can interchange so this may not tell you anything except what heads you have.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While yes it should have had a 302 if they say it was swapped then its probably been swapped. got to pull the starter to find the block casting numbers but that still may not be the final answer as was said the crank casting number is the real verification. As most internal parts will interchange between the 2 engines. Its really not a big issue as to what you actually have until its time to rebuild. But it is always nice to know for sure.

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
Take off the intake, right in the middle of the block, between the lifters an push rods, it will say 289 if it is a 289

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
If you pull a spark plug and really carefully measure the stroke, 289 = 2.870"
302 = 3.0". Not much of a difference but a difference none the less.

BTW if you pull the pan 289 casting # 1M, 302 is 2M (MA, MAE,).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The short answer, no
There is no easy way to just look at it and tell if it is a 302 or a 289. You can look at casing numbers and that will tell you what it was when it left the factory. But won't tell you a thing about what it is today. Maybe it is a 289 block with a 302 crank, maybe a 302 block with a 289 crank, maybe it really is a 289.

In all reality it will only matter when you go to rebuild it. At that point you will have the engine opened up and you can tell what it really is. There really isn't anything on the outside of the engine that cares if it is a 289 or a 302.

Jonboy69

I pulled my original coil out this weekend and found a tag behind the original coil that says I believe 302 C along with some other numbers. Pretty rare though I guess to have the original coil. I think it was the original coil or at least it loked like it.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p On old motors the only to see is pull the pan and look at the crank. A ford 289 will have a M-1 on it and a 302 will be M-2 good luck and have fun.:cool: :cool: :cool: Bill %) :cool: ;D

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Hmm - I'm in the same boat.. I bought my 74' from a friend who claims it has a 289 in it. Who acres - it has 80lbs of oil pressure at idle and a little blowby :D