• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed shifter arm retainer alternative?

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
Hi I was wondering if anyone else has tried an alternative method for the manual shifter arm retainer clips? Those E clips kept coming off on me. I ordered new ones with extra to keep in the bronco, I also drilled small holes at the ends to insert a hairpin, but I going to try push-in ends? I found these at Lowes in the hardware section. They also have some without the plastic ends.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/133NldFi6BZVIgxzZ2_2e64nkzc2hjX78/view?usp=drivesdk

Oldtimer

Contributor
As I recall, mine looked like one of these.
They are difficult to get properly installed, but once in they stay.
I think there was a washer under the clip?

linkage clip.png

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are there bushings between the shift arm and linkage? When I had my floor shift 3-speed, the bushings were trashed which put a ton of pressure on the clips and they struggled to survive.

OP
OP
Abe Jauregui

Abe Jauregui

Loc.
Los Angeles
Yea I replaced the bushings. The oem clips have teeth on the sides to grab inside the groove. I personally think it is a weak setup.