• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 to 347 with efi build questions???

tankhunter

well I got a couple questions the factory 302 in my bronco was shot so I built a 347 and I bought a 89 mustang harness and computer. I am also planning on buying a new msd dist. My question is about the water pump and dist.

1- do I need to buy the newer ford reverse rotation water pump?
2- will my timing order be different than what the factory 1974 302 was?
what are some other problems that I am going to run into?

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
1 - water pump rotation is dictated by your accessory drive. If running the Mustang accessories, yes you need reverse rotation.
2 - Yes. 5.0 / 351w order - 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 going counter clockwise.

Also, if you are making it EFI, you'd be better of with a 92.5-93 Mustang 5.0 harness, it's 8 pin plug contains the fuel pump circuitry, and the relay is integrated into that harness. But you can work with the 89 also. They're both mass air if you're not aware of that.

OP
OP
tankhunter

tankhunter

well I was planning on running all my old accessories, so does that mean I don't need the reverse rotation pump???

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Then you should be fine. Most reputable 347s are 28oz balanced also, so your harmonic balancer and flywheel / flexplate should be reusable also.