• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 aluminum inatake install questions

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
351W 79' D9AE-6015-ED
Weiand Stealth 8023 4bl

The new intake has 12 bolt holes. The 79' 351w engine has 16, and so did the stock manifold.

The four that are deleted are the ones that go through the front and rear water jackets. (The rear two water jackets are not used in the stock manifold)

The four threaded holes all dead end and dont pass into the lifter area.

Weiand and Eldelbrock only make a 12 bolt intake for the 351w

1.What intake gasket do I use?
I was told to use a Printoseal gasket or like type for sure. I have read to use a 302 12 bolt instaed of the 351w intake gasket. The front and rear gasket for a 302 will not work on a 351w.

2. Does any one use/reccomend any spacers or heat sheilds or valley pans?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I just looked at several Stealth manifolds and all of them have 12 holes. My Edelbrock Performer has 12 too. So do all the after market intakes except the Offenhousers, that have 16. The earliest, as in the '69-'74 Ford 351 intakes, also have 16. I ran a '69 intake with later heads and plugged the extra holes. All the '79 Ford intakes that I can find have 12 holes. Are you sure your '79 intake has 16 holes?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had performer manifolds on em for a while and don't remember any issues. Sure you're not looking at holes for an egr block off or something? I remember having to bolt on a little block off plate on one or both sides of the carb. It's beena while. I ended up swapping em to the offy manifold to get rid of the q-jet adapter. For a gasket I've always used the standard blue fel-pro with rtv on the ends instead of the rubber pieces

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You don't have '79 heads and intake. Only the first few year (69-72?) had the 16 bolt intakes.

12-bolt intakes will bolt to 16 bolt intakes just fine. The 4 extra bolt holes will be swimming around in coolant. No problem at all. Back when the '69-70 heads were the go to heads for the 289/302 engines this is how it had to be done. All the 302 engines are only 12 bolt. Doing a 16-bolt intake on 12 bolt heads is a little more difficult. The extra 4 holes need to be drilled out a little and tapped for pipe plugs.

When Ford was designing the improved 302 engine, making the 351 out of it. One of the improvement items was adding an extra bolt between the coolant port and the intake port. Didn't really make anything better and after a couple of years it was dropped Easier and more interchangeable parts by only using 12 bolts.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Cometic intake manifold gaskets. Check into them. Best gaskets for never having leakage problems. Call them as I'm not sure if they even advertise them yet for SBF. Go to Stang sites and everyone who has used them seem to like them.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
The only aluminum intake I seen with the 16 bolt holes is the one the previous owner had on the 351w I bought from him.

Attachments

• 2016-03-09 05.13.37.jpg
    2016-03-09 05.13.37.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 2016-03-09 05.14.11.jpg
    2016-03-09 05.14.11.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 2016-02-28 05.50.48.jpg
    2016-02-28 05.50.48.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
You don't have '79 heads and intake. Only the first few year (69-72?) had the 16 bolt /QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, you got me curious. Im going to pop the valve covers to find a cast number for the heads and let you know.

OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I just looked at several Stealth manifolds and all of them have 12 holes. My Edelbrock Performer has 12 too. So do all the after market intakes except the Offenhousers, that have 16. The earliest, as in the '69-'74 Ford 351 intakes, also have 16. I ran a '69 intake with later heads and plugged the extra holes. All the '79 Ford intakes that I can find have 12 holes. Are you sure your '79 intake has 16 holes?

Do you remeber what you used to plug them?

OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Cometic intake manifold gaskets. Check into them. Best gaskets for never having leakage problems. Call them as I'm not sure if they even advertise them yet for SBF. Go to Stang sites and everyone who has used them seem to like them.

Thanks I will check them out

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The only aluminum intake I seen with the 16 bolt holes is the one the previous owner had on the 351w I bought from him.

That is a Shelby branded Holman Moody intake. Talking with Lee Holman a few years back they had one pattern and would swap out the "Shelby" with "Ford" or "Cobra" names based on who was buying the next batch. Shelby usually had issues making payments in full and on time.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
That is a Shelby branded Holman Moody intake. Talking with Lee Holman a few years back they had one pattern and would swap out the "Shelby" with "Ford" or "Cobra" names based on who was buying the next batch. Shelby usually had issues making payments in full and on time.
It must be a rarity then. I'll call it the "Deadbeat Editon" intake.:p

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A little research into the Shelby intake disclosed that they were made by Buddy Bar.

OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
It appears I have a 79 block with pre 70 heads, Ithas the Lshaped water jacket and larger plugs.I looked all over for a asting number but couldnt locate it.Date code was 4D17.

I will need to block the 4 extra water jacket manifold holes and use a 12 bolt 351 gasket for pre 77.

Any tip as what to use in the old bolt holes?

Does any one use/reccomend any spacers or heat sheilds or valley pans?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
See post #12. I doubt anyone could provide a more precise description of the needed plugs. The only pre-'70 351 was the '69, that was identical. The '69/'70 block had 0.023" less deck height than later blocks. Otherwise the year of the block is irrelevant. The spark plug diameter, was changed in '74, when the extra intake bolts were dropped.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
The casting # on the heads is on the bottom side of the intake runner in the lifter valley area . You’ll probably need a mirror and look at the inch or so part of the head that hangs over,, the #s cast in,, if need be I can post pics patter this evening..

OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
See post #12. I doubt anyone could provide a more precise description of the needed plugs. The only pre-'70 351 was the '69, that was identical. The '69/'70 block had 0.023" less deck height than later blocks. Otherwise the year of the block is irrelevant. The spark plug diameter, was changed in '74, when the extra intake bolts were dropped.

I appreciate that, I must have read over top of it. I will see if I can locate them online somewhere. What material would you suggest? Brass, stainless,etc. or does it matter? Something to avoid electrolysis?

I found out today the heads are a D0OE. I appreciate the help, thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
The casting # on the heads is on the bottom side of the intake runner in the lifter valley area . You’ll probably need a mirror and look at the inch or so part of the head that hangs over,, the #s cast in,, if need be I can post pics patter this evening..

"D0OE" the head gasket on it currently over hangs on either end in that area about an inch, which was be covering it.

Last edited:

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
D0OE heads 69 or 70?

As for your intakes they will work but not as well as an intake designed for the early L shaped water passages as for possible sealing issues that may or maynot be an issue?. and putting plugs in the unused bolt holes is not necessary since there blind holes.I guess you can use 5/16 set screws with allen head to fill the hole if felt needed....

as noted the offenhauser intake has 16 bolt holes and L shaped water passages
but is a single split plane manifold design ..they can also be modified to run a Qjet carb bolted down with no spacers required. this combo would also get the most hood clearance the same as a 69 intake spacer and 4100 carb...

another intake is the Edelbrook performer 351w 2181 It has L shaped water passages but only 12 bolts but matches up better then what you have now..

not saying you need to buy new stuff but there are other options ...