• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W high vol. oil pump

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
I am putting a 351W in my 66..I read here a while back that there were issues putting a high vol oil pump in a double sump pan....I bought a 79-93 mustang 351 double sumper....I think the problem had to do with the bolts in the bottom of the pump.Whats the deal??I would like to have a high vol. pump, but do i need it?? thanks billy

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Econoline pumps are suppose to fit. something about recessed bolt heads.

If you built the engine loose or run something that has an external oil feed (some centrifical blowers and turbos) then I would recommend one.

For a fresh engine with correct stock tollerances, should not be needed

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The clearance problem can be solved with a hammer, but a hi vo would only be a benefit if you were running an elaborate oil cooler or did something strange to block.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Milling HV pump for a 351W van it has machine screws inplace of bolts on the bottom and will clear the pan. been running one in mine for meney years now. I put the new pump in back in 86 good luck. (69 351W)%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p Just found the part #601-1126 and it was $44.41 3/85 I dont now if that is the milling # of the parts house#

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
HV oil pumps are not really needed in a small block ford but I like them and run one also the only real issue is the oil drain back passages in the heads are small and sometimes oil is pumped up to the heads quicker than it can drain back problem there is twofold 1 excess oil gets sucked past worn valve seals 2 run out of oil in the pan to pump. neither of which really seem to be a problem with low rpm running that broncos usually do. I run a mechanical oil guage and have never seen it flicker a bit uphill, down hill, side hill ect

oh yeah even if you dont go with a HV pump get a heavy duty oil pump shaft like ARP's they are good insurance $16

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) It willneed to be a 70's to 80's when they ran the 351W motor good luck.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p

67ster

Bronco Guru
Just one note on the high volume pump, many come with an extra HD spring for the relief , stay away from it unless your lower end is really set up loose . I had 75 LBS. at a cold idle and it would peg the gauge when revved . I replaced the "killer" spring with the lighter one and now it holds about 45 at idle and 65 on the road , plenty of oil for a DD.

OP
OP
bronco-billy-66

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
well I would say mine is "pretty loose" its a stock 79 bottom end with 93,000 miles on it. My buget wouldn't allow machine work this time around. I think high vol. would be a good choice for me....What ya'll think?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I don't know if it would help or not. High pressure and High volume are completely different concepts. At best the high vo would be a "Band Aid" remedy.

scotch

Loc.
Green River, Wyoming
I personally would only use a high volume oil pump if there is a known problem with a lack of oil pressure due to excessive oil clearance. HV pumps are only really needed in high rpm race-only engines and as a band aid in severely worn engines. If you want to use one, it should be fine. There are some downsides to them if put in an engine that doesn't need them. They eat up about 5-10 horsepower and add extra heat to your oil. If you don't know what kind of shape your engine is in, you might be able check your rod and main bearing clearances yourself. Plastigage will give you a fairly accurate idea of the clearances and doesn't reqiure any special tools accept a good torque wrench.

expobronc

IF you do use a HV pump for the love of god, use a heavy duty shaft!!!! I rebuilt the bottom end, reground crank 10/10, new bearings, HV pump, new seals, GREAT oil pressure.... for about 500 miles then snap! out went my stock shaft and crunch, all those new bearings... COPPER!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A band-aid is better then an open wound.
I would recomend a HV pump (with a good driveshaft) for your application (high mileage engine that is not going to get a rebuild for a while).

74bronc

Bronco Guru
expobronc said:
IF you do use a HV pump for the love of god, use a heavy duty shaft!!!! I rebuilt the bottom end, reground crank 10/10, new bearings, HV pump, new seals, GREAT oil pressure.... for about 500 miles then snap! out went my stock shaft and crunch, all those new bearings... COPPER!!

Been running my HV pump with the stock shaft in my 351W for 12K miles since the engine was brand spankin' new and using 20W-50 oil. Never had a problem. FYI I guess better safe than sorry is a better way to go and for only like 20 bucks, why not? I was a stupid college kid back then!!! :)