• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w

cadamas

Loc.
Santa Fe
I've come across a rebuilt 351w bored .030 over longblock for 850 or a 96 351w with 4000 miles compleate with harness and pcm. I don't want to go with efi right now but which engine is a better buy?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '96 PCM and harness are worthless. That is a one year wonder OBD-II system.

But I would take the '96 over the rebuild. The '96 still has potential for future rebuilds and has a roller cam

OP
OP
C

cadamas

Loc.
Santa Fe
thanks. that's what i was thinking. Will I have to change any of the engine components other than the intake and adding a carb?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
thanks. that's what i was thinking. Will I have to change any of the engine components other than the intake and adding a carb?

Just follow the standard 351 swap stuff. It has been covered countless times and in the tech section. several ways to deal with each of the differences.

As for anything special about doing the '96, yes! that should be a roller cam block. The EFI distributer will need to go if you swap in a carb (keep it handy for later EFI swap that you will do later). But you will need to find a 351 distributer for a roller cam that has mechanical advance in it. This combonation never came from the factory (it may have on a special unverified application that I will not confuse people with right now). Basicly you will need to get a 351 Duraspark distributer and swap the drive gear from cast iron to steel for compatibility with the roller cam. Best deal I found is in the Motorsports catalog. Other then that, should be standard 351 swap stuff.