• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

357, 393, 408 and C4

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Now I'm debating which heads, intake, and cam combo to use.

Planned on using lighting intake and gt40x heads on a mild 351 build. But since crankshaft was toast, went 408 route. I don't have a body lift but do have a highlander hood.

Prefer not to spend a lot more money and wanted to use the lighting intake and gt40x aluminum heads.

See attached pic of my Bronco.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 39

AZ69EB

I would recommend talking to ford strokers as to your head, cam, intake, and fuel injection system. Try to make your parts work together. I have AFR 205 heads, custom can, and 10.2 compression. Using Lightening intake is a bottleneck. My heads flow 300cfm. The ported lower lightening intake can flow over 300 cfm no problem, but the restriction is the upper intake. Combined it would flow less than 250 cfm. That's what a TW 170 head or AFR 165 sized head would flow. Basically, losing 40 plus hp's or more. Keep researching before spending your hard earned cash. Good luck.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I would recommend talking to ford strokers as to your head, cam, intake, and fuel injection system. Try to make your parts work together. I have AFR 205 heads, custom can, and 10.2 compression. Using Lightening intake is a bottleneck. My heads flow 300cfm. The ported lower lightening intake can flow over 300 cfm no problem, but the restriction is the upper intake. Combined it would flow less than 250 cfm. That's what a TW 170 head or AFR 165 sized head would flow. Basically, losing 40 plus hp's or more. Keep researching before spending your hard earned cash. Good luck.

AZ69ED that flow data is interesting. AFR publishes head flows but how did you get the numbers for the lower and upper? I am guessing on the web somewhere but I would like to read it. When considering thew upper flow what size throttle body is going to have a big impact on the flow. Some of the uppers really have some funky bends!

AZ69EB

I was where jcb9089 was about a year ago or so. I was planning a mild 351w build with TW170 heads and Lightening upper and lower. A pretty good combination of parts for a mild build. Then I started thinking about more power and stupid thoughts of a 408W. I knew my limitations would be intake and exhaust. I contacted Tmoss regarding intake porting. I found out my Lightening would not be an optimum choice for my build. He provided the following recommendations listed below;

Intakes that will flow what you need for the AFR 205 heads after some intake porting to to match your 1262 size ports are:

351W Victor 5,8 EFI which will flow right at 310 cfm once the lower is ported
351W TFS-R ported will flow right at 290cfm,
TFS-R Box flows 300 cfm stock and 320 cfm once the lower is ported.

I now have the Victor EFI 5.8W intake. My next hurtle is my exhaust as my custom cam manufacturer recommended a minimum of 1-3/4" primary tube mid length or long tube headers. It's a snowball process.

You can use smaller parts like intakes, TB, Maf, and headers, but don't expect big hp's or tq numbers. The people who I talked who build their strokers using smaller parts have motors that run out of air any where from 4000 to 5000 rpm range.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Thanks it does help! Like you said, now it's a snowball effect.

I'm conflicted between doing it right and spending the $ since my original plan was a simple 351 for a couple grand. Now I'm looking at heads that cost that much. I'm in it deep now, but may take longer to get there.

AFR 205s are sweet but pricey:cry:

Thinking about selling the GT40x heads and lighting intake to help fund.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl PRP...took me about 10 years to figure what color i wanted.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I was where jcb9089 was about a year ago or so. I was planning a mild 351w build with TW170 heads and Lightening upper and lower. A pretty good combination of parts for a mild build. Then I started thinking about more power and stupid thoughts of a 408W. I knew my limitations would be intake and exhaust. I contacted Tmoss regarding intake porting. I found out my Lightening would not be an optimum choice for my build. He provided the following recommendations listed below;

Intakes that will flow what you need for the AFR 205 heads after some intake porting to to match your 1262 size ports are:

351W Victor 5,8 EFI which will flow right at 310 cfm once the lower is ported
351W TFS-R ported will flow right at 290cfm,
TFS-R Box flows 300 cfm stock and 320 cfm once the lower is ported.

I now have the Victor EFI 5.8W intake. My next hurtle is my exhaust as my custom cam manufacturer recommended a minimum of 1-3/4" primary tube mid length or long tube headers. It's a snowball process.

You can use smaller parts like intakes, TB, Maf, and headers, but don't expect big hp's or tq numbers. The people who I talked who build their strokers using smaller parts have motors that run out of air any where from 4000 to 5000 rpm range.

I hope this helps.

This does thank you very helpful. What throttle body are you using on your 408?

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

lol Airbur...I have an image of Mad Max Fury Road type wrecks with our broncos.:eek:

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
...I now have the Victor EFI 5.8W intake. My next hurtle is my exhaust as my custom cam manufacturer recommended a minimum of 1-3/4" primary tube mid length or long tube headers. It's a snowball process...

Good choice on the intake:) I went Bronco hut 1 5/8 shorties and they run perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_3894.jpg
    IMG_3894.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Good choice on the intake:) I went Bronco hut 1 5/8 shorties and they run perfect.

I do have a couple questions.

1. what is the height of top your intake?
--I'm not running a body lift but have highlander hood.
-- Concerned that 408 with edelbrock might be close to hitting the hood and I don't want to install a body lift.

2. Did you have your explorer pump upgraded?
-- Currently running hydroboost with Saginaw pump but plan on explorer serp conversion.

3. Any cooling issues with 427?

Thanks, John

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
1. what is the height of top your intake?
--I'm not running a body lift but have highlander hood.
-- Concerned that 408 with edelbrock might be close to hitting the hood and I don't want to install a body lift.

It's high. I not only have a 1" body lift, I also had to cut the hood and install a scoop for more clearance. Why don't you want a body lift
? If your body mounts are original, just installing new 1" mounts will give you 1.5" at least.

2. Did you have your explorer pump upgraded?

Yes....I sent it in to Lee Power Steering

3. Any cooling issues with 427?

None. I do have a new 4 core aluminum radiator and high flow water pump but nothing super special as far as cooling goes.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Thanks.

Really don't want to install a body lift because everything (doors/fenders) line up perfect right now. My body mounts are new so don't want to add that extra level of pain.

That's why I was thinking of using the Lighting intake...heard it's lower but also know it's more restrictive. But, everything I'm told is don't waste the money to build a 408 and then restrict it.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Thanks.

Really don't want to install a body lift because everything (doors/fenders) line up perfect right now. My body mounts are new so don't want to add that extra level of pain.

That's why I was thinking of using the Lighting intake...heard it's lower but also know it's more restrictive. But, everything I'm told is don't waste the money to build a 408 and then restrict it.

Understood. The 1" body lift I installed changed nothing as far as alignments etc. I would not use the lighting intake...it simply doesn't flow enough for these big air pumps.

If you're ever headed up I25, let me know. I'm in Castle Pines...be happy to meet and you could check out how mine is setup.