• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3G 130 amp alternator

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
...Can't say about that particular brand's reliability over others, but the type of alternator itself is tried and true, proven over the years. It's just wrong for an EB unless it's got a 4.6 or 5.4 liter engine in it.
Not likely to fit easily. At least not without some serious fabrication.

You want the one that looks virtually like your original alternator and uses the same mounting brackets.
So I wouldn't. When it's so easy to get the correct mounting style, why bother?...

Thanks for that Paul! OBTW I was born and raised in San Jose, ;D

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
You don't need to splice anything or remove wiring. Sounds like you just cut it off and taped the ends is that correct. Will the ammeter still function?

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
You don't need to splice anything or remove wiring. Sounds like you just cut it off and taped the ends is that correct. Will the ammeter still function?

I think that is right, been a while since I did it, but I remember it was easy and removed a rats nest. You should just have the one small gauge wire crossing over to the alternator, the rest to the old voltage regulator are capped, I think.

The ammeter will not function, you will need a voltmeter to keep an eye on the system. I found a cheap one at Harbor Freight, took my dremmel to it and modded it into my stock gauge cluster. I think I made little brackets out of a Altoids tin.

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
Already got a voltmeter, if the ammeter doesn't work it's not a big thing it really never moves that much. Plus the voltmeter is easier to keep an eye on. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for that Paul! OBTW I was born and raised in San Jose, ;D

What part of SJ?
Did we kick you out? ;D Or did you run away as fast as you could trying to get away from it all? %)

Paul

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
What part of SJ?
Did we kick you out? ;D Or did you run away as fast as you could trying to get away from it all? %)

Paul

Cupertino/Sunnyvale, went to Mitty HS and De Anza JC. I ran as fast as I could ;D That was 35 years ago;D... love the PNW.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well make sure you let us know if you're ever down this way then! We hang out in the same area quite a bit with our local Bronco gatherings.
Quite a few EB projects going on right now in the Cupertino area in fact. Sunnyvale too now that I think of it.

Anyway, give us a heads-up if you and your family are ever heading this way again.

Paul

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Well make sure you let us know if you're ever down this way then! We hang out in the same area quite a bit with our local Bronco gatherings.
Quite a few EB projects going on right now in the Cupertino area in fact. Sunnyvale too now that I think of it.

Anyway, give us a heads-up if you and your family are ever heading this way again.

Paul

OK, so much for the hijack... I just bought a 3G from WH, will be hitting you up for install details Paul. Thanks for your support as always. :cool:

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Hey Paul,
I just received my 1-wire 3G from WH. It looks like all I do is disconnect everything from my 1G and then run the new bigger output wire to the battery, demo'ing the old regulator and wiring. It can't possibly be this simple, is it? Is that a voltage regulator mounted on the back of the 3G?
Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry, was out working on a non-Bronco and then went out to dinner with 6 other Bronco friends for some Mongolian BBQ and Bronco-talk.
I'm still full!

Yep, it's that simple. And yes, that's the "internal" (or semi-internal in this case, since you can see it!) regulator for the 3G. It's all self-contained now.

So get rid of any of the other stuff you don't want to see anymore, clean up the old wiring and you're done.
Most people will keep the old Green w/red switched wire from the old regulator and use it for some other purpose down the road. Same for the old Black w/yellow wire from the main output of the old alternator. It's basically a 10ga constant power source you could attach to a remote terminal block/power stud for powering other accessories.

A normal 3G does need the switched power to function. These regulators are manufactured to work without it by making the alternator a true self-energizing version like the old GM 1-wire alternators were. But with fewer problems it seems.
We do sell the replacement regulators if you ever need one (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Self-Exciting-Regulator-1wire-3G). In a pinch though, you can source a standard regulator locally and install it if you're in dire need right away. But you'd have to also get a stock plug with the third wire and connect a keyed power source to it.

They've proven to be pretty reliable though. I just wanted to mention that up front in case it ever comes up while you're stuck in a mud-bog in a forest and there just happens to be an Autozone across the street. ;D
In Moab...

But if that ever happens, you've got other issues! :-[

Paul