• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3speed manual to C4 help and parts

SuperSession74

Loc.
Redondo Beach
Hey all just purchased a C4 out of a 73 and plan on doing the swap into my 74. The C4 has the stock adapter to the Dana 20 but the seller did not give me the output shaft/coupler to mate with the c4. Thought that he was including all parts and or TC . Would have purchased from him but apparently the TC was sold to someone else and probably wont be using the parts that i needed anyways lol.I have read that I can use my manual one but will need to be cut down. Is that correct and approximately how much would need to be cut. Also is this done with say an angle grinder and would the shaft need to be pulled out to do this or can it be left in place. Also is there anything else I need for mating the two say bearing, retainer,seals ? And anything I should do as far as replacing seals,bearings etc. While apart. Also if anyone has what i need Auto style output shaft etc. Much appreciated. Tony

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You have to take the shaft out because you shorten it from the adapter side - you're cutting off part of the female splined end.

Most of the vendors sell the correct auto spud shaft.

RedBank

I'm in the middle of the same project. This site will help in identifying the the big items needed. So far with the help of this site I have had everything needed except for a few small surprises. I was disappointed last night when I didn't have the nuts needed to mount the torque converter. And I also need the bolts to mount the neutral safety switch. Hoping to attach the tranny and t/c in the next few days.
4a1d27e59b7f3da809410f2bb644699f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone know the actual difference in length? I have access to a machine shop so I'd rather shorten than buy. Also I have a spare spud shaft that I can't remember where it came from so it could be a C4 version.

Thanks
Kyle

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Searched some old threads and found the answer:

C4 spud is exactly 7 3/8" long. Manual spuds are about 1/2" longer.