• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 core radiator from Summit

351YJ

Loc.
Lititz, PA
While I'm rebuilding my 351W in my Heep, I need to replace my radiator due to leaks and lack of cooling. I was looking in Summit and noticed they have 4 core radiators. Should I go w/ a 4 core, or just try to find a 3 core that will fit in the Jeep? Any input?

OP
OP

351YJ

Loc.
Lititz, PA
[quote author=grant_71 link=board=5;threadid=14695;start=0#110706 date=1046318411]
Do you really want to be asking that here?

[/quote]

Ok, let me re-phrase it: Is there any real advantage to having a 4 core over a 3 core?

yellowbilly

Loc.
Auburn, WA
While at SOB6 a guy from Cali that runs at Glamis a lot made a comment that he had better luck from high quality 2 or 3 cores than from regular 4 cores because it is so hard to get air flow through the 4 cores. With the 2 or 3 cores the air flows through much better, taking heat with it. I don't know the right answer, that's is just what he said.

Hell maybe he is reading: I am sorry man I can't remember your name. I know our Broncos look very similar and I know you had a rough go with a couple dogs once. ;D If this is you, fill us in on your cooling tricks.

To rest of you: You probably think I have been sniffing paint cans with that last comment.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Yea go ahead and ask, I was just kidding. I didn't see the Who Cares What You Drive Part, that is the way i feel, but i have no idea on the radiator question, so i am simply taking up space on this thread. I will stop now.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I use the Summit aluminum radiator in my bronco and it works great. Only $180, and it keeps my Bronco cool all day long even out in the desert.

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
[quote author=Desert Thrasher link=board=5;threadid=14695;start=0#110889 date=1046370494]
I use the Summit aluminum radiator in my bronco and it works great. Only $180, and it keeps my Bronco cool all day long even out in the desert.
[/quote]

Can you give a part number for that radiator.
And do you need to do cutsom work to make it fit or does it just bolt in.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
the part number is SUM-380325. This will have the radiator hoses on the correct sides for the bronco. My bronco has a 351C so i had to get the hoses on the opposite sides.
This radiator is 25 3/4"L x 19" H, other lengths are avaible too. You can buy the universal brackets from summit, or i belive they will fit in the stock bronco mounts. Or you can do what i did and tig weld some L brackets on the tanks and bolt it to your core support.

alex69eb

Loc.
dearborn, michigan
Hey desert thrasher in summit it shows as a gm radiator right. That has the inlet and outlet correct? you don't happen to have any photos of yours do you. sounds much cheaper than the other options. Thanks

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
[quote author=Desert Thrasher link=board=5;threadid=14695;start=0#110910 date=1046374825]
the part number is SUM-380325. This will have the radiator hoses on the correct sides for the bronco. My bronco has a 351C so i had to get the hoses on the opposite sides.
This radiator is 25 3/4"L x 19" H, other lengths are avaible too. You can buy the universal brackets from summit, or i belive they will fit in the stock bronco mounts. Or you can do what i did and tig weld some L brackets on the tanks and bolt it to your core support.
[/quote]

Sweet I notice it says for chebby tho guess it doesnt matter.
How well does this perform for you. I still got the stock and cannot sit in traffic very long with stock rad and mech fan. I want to put my Electric fan back on when I get a new rad.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Yes it is for a GM, but the older fords had the outlets on the same side as the GM's. If you have the stock bronco water pump then you need th gm style radiator. I have a few pics in the gallery, page 23 at the bottom.
My bronco runs at 170 constantly with no shroud and only a flexfan. And after I shut it down, it goes to about 190-200, but when i start it up it drops immediatly to 170.

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
If your gonna buy a new rad., I would get the new style with the one inch cores. They provide more cooling surface than the old style.

OP
OP

351YJ

Loc.
Lititz, PA
Well, I was looking thru the Summit Catalog again, and let me just say that I'm an idiot. :D I read their description wrong. It is a 2 core that FLOWS BETTER THAN A 4 CORE. Anyway, I'm most likely going to go w/ this one. Thanks for helping the idiot, guys. :-*

Dusty

Bronco Guru
[quote author=yellowbilly link=board=5;threadid=14695;start=0#110738 date=1046322087]
While at SOB6 a guy from Cali that runs at Glamis a lot made a comment that he had better luck from high quality 2 or 3 cores than from regular 4 cores because it is so hard to get air flow through the 4 cores. With the 2 or 3 cores the air flows through much better, taking heat with it. I don't know the right answer, that's is just what he said.

[/quote]

Sounds like you're talking about Tony Beacher. Nice deep-breathing yellow EB with a cool Cobra gas cap? He's on So Cal Broncos but I don't think he frequents classicbroncos.com. He sold the yellow Bronco and is currently Bronco-less but looking.

Dusty