• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

460 into my bronco?

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
So you like the 460? I like all things Ford V-8 (except maybe the 255), but I'd like to think a 460 could be built for more power than a 351W. As I said I could be (and probably am) wrong. A friend of mine runs either a 429 or 460 in the bogs, and says it doesn't seem to put out the power he thinks it should. He said he'd rather have a 428. I don't know.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Looks like a nice fit..<br><br>
whconst26.JPG

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
I personaly don't think its a power thing. I'm pretty sure that a 460 can make more power and torque than a 351W. To me it's all about adding an extra 130 or so punds right over the front axle. But that's just me. And I guess it also has to do with what you are planning on using it for.<br> Don

alex69eb

Loc.
dearborn, michigan
If I had all the drivetrain stuff from a donor vehicle. I would love to build a 460 bronco, after all 130 pounds how much more is that than a winch, The Biggest problem is you can't just change the engine and use your trans (unless you have a c-4 with the big block pattern laying around, possible durabilty problem) But I love the bigger is better idea for engines. I say if you got the stuff to do it, then do it. If you don't you'll always be wondering what could have been. hugga dugga holla, bigger is better.

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
[quote author=alex69eb link=board=5;threadid=12190;start=15#90524 date=1039630771]<br> after all 130 pounds how much more is that than a winch, [/quote]<br> <br> True.<br> Don

OP
OP
S

SURFMUR

Loc.
Houston, TX
I had no idea this was such a touchy subject! ;)<br>I am debating it becasue I already have and am planning to use a NP435/Np205 combo. The real issue is probably the axles. I already have too much time and money in mine to get rid of them and I think if I had a 460 w/ 37 inch tires I might want a D60 in the rear. Of course I could always run it till it breaks then it is seen as a necessity!! That would be alot of weight and I spend alot of time on the beach. It would sink like my pickup ;D<br>Only time will tell what happens.

orange69

I would love to put a 460 in mine when my Windsor gives up. Like they said 130lbs is not that much to worry about. Adding a winch and strong bumper could easily add up to that. I have talked to a couple guys who put a 460 in a bronco and said that it fit pretty well. Besides there are a lot of F150's driving around town that have 460's and a winch w/ a heavy bumper and are holding up just fine. F150's have Dana 44's just like most bronco's except wider, so I don't the Dana 44 would have a problem with that extra weight. Of course a lot depends on your driving style! To me, there's no such thing as too much power. Just my 2 cents.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
My biggest concern, other than the durability of the drivetrain, would be cooling. What would it take to cool that big beast in a vehicle that can have problems keeping a small block cool?

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Ever since I came to this site I have heard way to many people say " oh, you gotta have a 351 w " WRONG ! I have raced fords for a long time and go VERY FAST with a 302. I had a Mustang with a 302 and YES it did have a bottle but with a 302 / auto trans / 10 inch slick with mufflers @ 3200 lbs , it ran MID NINES all day at 140 mph. My greatest feeling at the end of the day was going home knowing I oppened up a BIG can of whoop a$$ on just about every 351 , 460 , 454 , 396 , 350 , at the track that day. I'm talking street car here ! Mid nines back in 1997 was FAST. Muscle Mustangs Fast Fords did TWO articles on my car the first in May of 92 and they did another article in May of 97 ( pages 184 - 189 ). I don't see a need for a 351 or a 460 ! I would like to put a 4.6 DOHC in a Bronco but only for the " WOW, look at that " factor. Shoot - I can build a 400 hp 302 without even trying hard.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I personally say go for it, that was quite a post by 2badrotties, but with a bronco the fun is doing what you want with it, not what some one else tells you. Off the topic, hey 2badrotties, about the 400 hp 302.....?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=2badrotties link=board=5;threadid=12190;start=30#90701 date=1039663581]<br>Ever since I came to this site I have heard way to many people say " oh, you gotta have a 351 w " WRONG ! I have raced fords for a long time and go VERY FAST with a 302. I had a Mustang with a 302 and YES it did have a bottle but with a 302 / auto trans / 10 inch slick with mufflers @ 3200 lbs , it ran MID NINES all day at 140 mph. My greatest feeling at the end of the day was going home knowing I oppened up a BIG can of whoop a$$ on just about every 351 , 460 , 454 , 396 , 350 , at the track that day. I'm talking street car here ! Mid nines back in 1997 was FAST. Muscle Mustangs Fast Fords did TWO articles on my car the first in May of 92 and they did another article in May of 97 ( pages 184 - 189 ). I don't see a need for a 351 or a 460 ! I would like to put a 4.6 DOHC in a Bronco but only for the " WOW, look at that " factor. Shoot - I can build a 400 hp 302 without even trying hard.<br>[/quote]<br><br>This may be true, but you have to look at what you are going to use the bronco for. Generally speaking, a longer stroke is good for more low end torque, and if you are off roading, you aren't going to be running mid-nine's on the quarter-mile dirt track unless you want to die. Why build an engine in a bronco like that, unless it is primarily an asphalt stomper and you like to spank the ricers into commission? You don't want to have to tach up 5K and roast all 4 tires to hop a ledge or pull a hill. I noticed a considerable difference in torque off-road after switching to a 351W. This motor pulls ALOT better on and off-road than my similarly built 302 ever did. I am sure a 460 would be even better, it is just overkill for me and I don't care about the "wow" factor. So, choose the motor that works best for what you want to do with your bronco, be it a 302, 247, 351W, 392W, 408W, 351M, or 460.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=cjjhalfcab link=board=5;threadid=12190;start=30#90758 date=1039690992]<br>If you want torque in a small block, and the long stroke makes the torque, then it is interesting that everyone dogs on the 400 (me included). It has the longest stroke of all the Ford V-8s.<br><br>Just for grins, look at these links:<br><br>http://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID12/1068.html<br><br>http://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID12/142.html<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>There is no doubt about it that the 400 has killer low end torque, its just that the aftermarket isn't as hip on these motors. I have rebuilt one but I have never owned one in a vehicle. I think it's a decent motor, I just personally feel that you can do alot more with a W and still have all the benefits of a small block. To each his own...

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
I agree. I don't want a 400, but if I change my 302 out, I have a Cleveland 4V that I'll put in. I know I'll feel it at the gas pump, though. ;D

alex69eb

Loc.
dearborn, michigan
Now do we want to venture into the discussion of what is better suited for a bronco, high rpm horsepower or low rpm torque, with one you give up the other no way around it. The best suited bronco is the one the owner builds for himself and for what he plans to do with it.