• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w or 6r80w Automatic with Coyote restomod?

tylerwoolley

Loc.
Roseville, CA
Hello, wondering if you guys can give me your opinion on a transmission.

I am getting a restomod done on on my 1971 ford bronco and I'm trying to decide between the two automatic transmissions. The truck will be running a 2017 coyote engine. The proposed six speed is out of a F-150 raptor. The proposed four-speed is what is being proposed currently. What are your guys thoughts on the two and which direction would you recommend I go? I am being told that the six speed will cost more money but I am more concerned with modern drivability and smooth shifting at speeds ranging from 0-70 mph.

Thank you in advance for your input and any suggestions here.

stock orange

Why would you ever marry a brand new Coyote motor with transmission technology
that is even a few years old? Spend the cash you will be happier in the end.
I sold my 4r70 and installing a 6R80.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The thing with a modern powertrain, is it is the powertrain, not just the engine.
The 4R70W is the easy way out, the 6R80 is the correct way.

Dpearce

I had this same question recently and talked with Jason at BC Broncos. I'm in a little different position as I'm close to finishing and all is set up for the 4R70W. Jason said that he would simply run the 4R70W in my case. If starting from scratch, he'd opt for the 6R80 - but he said that he honestly doesn't notice a big difference between the two in the Bronco itself. Especially with the ability to control the shift timing with the US Shift or other controller.
I'm more concerned with suspension , steering and stopping with the power of the Coyote.

STalon89

Bowsher is right. 470RW is easier, but if you're spending money on that motor, wouldnt you want whats best behind it?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The only reason the 4R70W is even an option is the early coyote swaps couldn't figure the transmission out. But the 4R70W just happen to fit and there were controllers for it. So it was a work around to get the coyote up and running. It took a few more years to get the 6-speed to work and adaptors for it as well. Now that they are around you can just about date a Coyote swap by the transmission. Early swaps were done with a 4R70W, late swaps are done with the 6R80.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Does the 5.0 have the same bell housing pattern and flywheel/converter as the 6.2? The Raptor trans would have been behind a 6.2. Also the Raptor 6R80 was programmed different than the standard F150 (may not matter).

OP
OP
T

tylerwoolley

Loc.
Roseville, CA
Thanks everyone for the responses- very much appreciated. I am leaning toward the extra $$$ with the 6-speed married to the Coyote engine. With that said, at what speeds/gears can I expect to get the most of out the 6 speed versus the 4 speed, and what other benefits will I see with the 6 speed?

Correction: It is a F-150 6 speed, NOT the one out of the Raptor...

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
If you go with the 6R80 would you need to modify the trans tunnel?

You have to do at least a 1 inch body lift for the Coyote conversion but that may or may not clear everything. Going with a 2 inch body lift seems to work and you shouldn't need to modify transmission tunnel. This can very depending on who's engine mounts and transmission brace you use.

STalon89

2" body lift will give you clearance in the trans tunnel and get the brake booster up off the motor.