• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Conversion ?'s

Big D

I am in the process of installing a '91 5.0 into my '77. I have been told, but I can't find from who or where, there is a way to install my 5.0 without having to use all the sensors, like the oxygen sensors and the EGR valve. I was told there is a new computer that I could buy that would do away with these sensors. If anyone has any info about this, please let me know.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
I don't know about "doing away" with all the sensors but Holley has full fuel injection set up's that in some cases include new computer which may be configurable when it comes to sensors.

http://www.holley.com/

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yeah its actually an old concept called a carberator. its the only way to do away with all the sensors

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I am not running any O2 sensors or the TAD..bla bla etc.. and mine runs great. I do plan to hook up some O2's just for fuel mileage, but it isn't an issure right now.. I have most of the vac lines plugged except for the one to the fuel press regulator... It's one of those deals that I just plugged everything to get it started, and it runs great without them..??

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Big D said:
I am in the process of installing a '91 5.0 into my '77. I have been told, but I can't find from who or where, there is a way to install my 5.0 without having to use all the sensors, like the oxygen sensors and the EGR valve. I was told there is a new computer that I could buy that would do away with these sensors. If anyone has any info about this, please let me know.
You need most of the sensors to tell the computer what to do. You can leave off the 02 sensors, but they do help the computer better understand your engine. There are egr eliminator plates, and the engine will run fine without hooking it up, but it helps the engine get better mileage at part throttle, and it helps it run cooler. Why disconnect it?
Tom

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The O2 sensors read the exhaust temperature and then the ECM adjusts the tuning until the temperature is optimum for fuel savings which also happens to be where it will also perform the best. That leaves the throttle position sensor which tells the ecm where the throttle is and the iab solenoid which the ecm adjusts to change the vacuum going through the throttle body at an idle. I.E. It uses this to adjust the vacuum at an idle. The ACT (Air Charge Temperature) and ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) are used by the ecm to tell operating conditions (Is it warmed up yet?). The BP/MAP sensor is also for operating conditions but is used differently depending on the ECM used. In a SD (Speed Density) system it is a MAP sensor which measures the Manifold Air Pressure (Engine Vacuum), in a MAF system it is a BP (Barometric Pressure) sensor which allows the ECM to adjust the tuning depending on the outside weather conditions. I.E. If the air is more dense then the tuning will be different from when it is less dense. The EGR valve is open when the engine is first started and simply reinjects unburned gases back through the system when it is cold which helps to warm it up faster and lowers emmisions when it is first started. After it warms up the EGR valve closes and stays closed. TAB, TAD, & Purge are all emmisions sensors/solenoids that the ECM ignores when making adjustments. They effect the air pump which scavenges unburned gases but don't really effect performance. Using the Ford ECM's the emmisions sensors can be eliminated with no effect on other than the check engine light coming on which can be fixed by fooling the ecm with resistors. The EGR valve can be eliminated with no performance effect once it warms up as long as the ECM knows that it is closed. This can also be done with resistors. If you don't use resistors then the ECM will not know if it is open or closed and will get confused. The ECM will run with every sensor unplugged but it will not be at it's optimum. (I've even started one up with half of the injectors unplugged) With some of the sensors such as the O2 sensors not usng them will put the ECM into the defaults which means it will use a factory set tuning and will be unable to adjust to the best performance. I missed the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) above which may or may not effect it. Especially when using a manual tranny with an ECM for an automatic it is said that not having it can make it die when pulling up to stop lights. I've run with the VSS used and without it (currently it isn't plugged in) and mine runs the same both ways. I have an automatic though with an ECM that is for the same.

HTH,
Rick

boss2553

Loc.
Georgetown Ky
put a EFI in my shelby back in 97. You can remove the
TAD
TAB
EVR
EGR
gas air purge thing going to the gas vent charcol box thing in the front passenger side of the car. forget the right name,

machined a block off plate for the EGR.

then put a 7.8K resistor in place of the device you removed
then no engine light.

get the ford fuel ingection book by charles probst ISBN 0-8376-0301-3

look at some of the sites like listed above fordfuelingection.com they have made this stuff up now had to go to radioshack back in 97. you can save money resistors are cheap.

good luck

boss2553

Loc.
Georgetown Ky
put a EFI in my shelby back in 97. You can remove the
TAD
TAB
EVR
EGR
gas air purge thing going to the gas vent charcol box thing in the front passenger side of the car. forget the right name,

machined a block off plate for the EGR.

then put a 7.8K resistor in place of the device you removed
then no engine light.

get the ford fuel ingection book by charles probst ISBN 0-8376-0301-3

look at some of the sites like listed above fordfuelingection.com they have made this stuff up now had to go to radioshack back in 97. you can save money resistors are cheap.

good luck