• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Explorer Serp Upper Hose

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I used search honest - I even re-read the tech article. What is the year / make /model for the GTO that has the upper hose that needs to be trimmed to fit when using a 5.0 plus Explorer serp with the stock radiator? Mine has been rubbed through by the P/S pulley and now I need a new one.

I should have kept the sticker that was on the hose!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's a multi-year hose for the 400 V8 applications, but if you use 1970 as your year, it should net you the correct hose.

Last time I tried that number though, it wasn't a perfect fit. Close but not exact. Don't remember if I tweaked it or just left it the way it was, but that part number was the one used.

Paul

thirdtime

Contributor
I used a Dayco C71280 from Autozone. I have no idea what it fits but it fits good. You need to cut around 3" off the thermostat end if I remember correctly. I have a 351 but it should be about the same. I took a picture of the label so I wouldn't forget the part number ;D

Edit: I just saw you said stock radiator, it wont work. Sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Thanks fellas - Advance Auto #E70480 fits 68-70 (maybe more) GTO with 6.6/400. That was the one I used.

Crazy - it is IN STOCK around the corner from my house. Seriously - how many big block GTOs have you seen lately???

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have a clearance issue also with the Explorer PS pulley. I used the stock Bronco upper hose with a piece of 1 1/2" tubing in the center. Also has a brace to keep it off the PS pulley.

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 75

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I have read that the upper hose fits better when you put it on backwards from what seems obvious.

Eric

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
My upper fit pretty good but was close to rubbing the P/S pulley too. I drilled and tapped the bracket and put a 3" bolt with a nut I used to lock it in place. This kept the hose off the pulley and was really subtle / easy. The mistake I made was the the threads of the bolt slowly chewed through the hose! This time I am going to put a piece of fuel hose over the threads. If I could find a stripper bolt I would.

My lower is made of a piece of exhaust tubing shaped like a J and used two 90 degree pieces of the old hose to connect it all together. That was a pain in the butt. I have a 68 and upper hose is two small 90 degree pieces it worked.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-621003/overview/