• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 Bronco Steering Wobble & Drifting

Tonyduc

I installed new tie rods and drag link on my 66, but I am still getting some drifting and wobble when I hit bumps and uneven road. I brought it to a local repair shop (they are really not Bronco guys) and they did an alignment which is spot on - I gave them alignment specs from my Chilton's. They said that the drifting might be from the adjuster screw in the steering box might be too tight, and perhaps the new front end just needs to break in ? So I did turn the steering box screw counterclockwise 1/8 turn, I also noticed in turning the screw the other direction (clockwise) it would go no more than 1/8 turn - did PO perhaps have it too tight? As far as handling. not much difference after loosening 1/8.

From reading more about this on the web though, it's leading me in the direction of the track bar, and axle alignment. The Bronco is stock height. Is there anything that could be worn out in the track bar that might cause this ? I am also going to install a steering stabilizer. Thanks for any advice.

Tony

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Could be the steering box itself, ball joints, track bar bushings, C bushings and the list goes on. If your stock height with no track bar brack installed, I wouldn't think that would be the issue. A steering stabilizer will just mask the problem, keep digging for issue imo.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you check your tires and tire pressure in addition to above

OP
OP
T

Tonyduc

Yes, tire pressure was one of the first things- they are also brand new.
I just did a quick test of the axel center measuring the distance from the outer wheel edge to the fender using an upright level board. There’s about 3/4” difference between left and right wheel. You can even see it standing in front of the truck. Guess the only way to fix this is with an adjustable track bar ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, if you're sure it's off then the adjustable bar will correct that hopefully.
I say "hopefully" because many of the bars (including ours I think) are actually on the long side, which means that for a stock height truck they may be too long already. I thought ours were able to adjust down to almost stock length, but that would be something to verify. Measure yours bolt to bolt, and then compare to the different ones.
We claim 28" as a minimum, so you could star there.

When you checked the tire pressures, what were they? What tires are you running?
Stock height suspensions should not have a 3/4" axle offset, but this would not be the first time we've seen this either. Inconsistent build quality at Ford, damage to the vehicle over the last 55 years, wear and tear, etc.

Is the steering box original? If so, it's pretty much a guarantee that it's worn out at least partially, unless it has extremely low mileage. As in less than 50k miles total. Mine was worn out at only 60k, but it had a slightly harder life when first bought.

New tie-rod components do not need to be broken in. They should work perfectly right out of the box as long as they are greased, or are the un-greasable type.

What is spot on in alignment? Specifically toe-in, but did you get a readout of all the settings? If not, any chance you can call the shop back and have the tech quote them to you?
Too much variation between sides (even if within specs) will give some trouble, too much camber to the high side of spec is not good for tire wear, too little caster will allow wandering, and too much or too little toe-in will cause wandering too.

Finally, you should perform the test. With the vehicle fully on the ground and a helper turning the wheel, rack the wheel back and forth continually (about half a turn in each direction) to see where all the loose bits are. You're looking from the steering shaft coupler at the box, to the bolts on the frame, to the frame itself (they can crack, but it's more often with power steering) to all the rod ends, and even wheel bearings and wheels. I've found cracked steel wheels with this test.
But especially look at the trackbar. Not just the bushings, but the bolts at the upper and lower mounts, and the mounts themselves.

Anything that moves where it should not is suspect.

paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd be curious to see your alignment specs as well. What size tires are you running, and per Paul's post above, what are they?

OP
OP
T

Tonyduc

So the new tires are Nokian 235/75R15 109TXL, I use the same on my 2010 Ranger and they are very good road tires, I set them at 35 psi. I also mounted them on recently purchased Indy mag wheels.

The alignment report says that it was set to Chilton specs:
Caster range 2 3/4 - 4 1/4 preferred 3 1/2 P, Camber 1 P - 2 P, preferred 1/2 P, Toe in 1/16 - 1/4 ".

In the course of recently replacing axel seals, I've done a lot of work on the front end: servicing kingpins and bearings, new shim pack, torquing knuckle rotation to spec. In addition, new tie rods and drag link as mentioned above. Then the only things left are track bar (which looks original) and steering box - I did at the beginning of this have someone turn the wheel while looking at the front end, and check the box bolts etc. So in choosing between the two, since the axel alignment is off by about an inch, probably that's the one to work on next !

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you replace the track bar bushings? I know that on my EB, worn track bar bushings can cause a whole slew of driving issues including wandering and bump steer of a sort.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So the new tires are Nokian 235/75R15 109TXL, I set them at 35 psi.

That's probably a bit too high. What is their maximum PSI rating on the sidewall? Most of us are settling on about 25psi in the front and 20-22 psi in the rear. Going too far off of that often results in wandering or darty feeling steering.
Since it's easy (and free) to test, I recommend dropping them 5psi in the front and 10psi in the rear to see if it feels any different. Then play around from there.

I also mounted them on recently purchased Indy mag wheels.

What size? If they are 8" or wider that might be a bit wide for a 235mm wide tire. If it does still fall within the recommended range, then I guess we can't blame that just yet. But putting a too-narrow tire on a too-wide wheel can give you all sorts of odd feelings on the road.
And changing the width of the wheel compared to the tire often requires twiddling with the pressures again anyway.
In fact, every tire and wheel combo can be different and fiddling with tire pressures is part of the game. Sometimes you fall right back at the same pressure, sometimes you have to change it quite a bit.
Same for toe-in.

The alignment report says that it was set to Chilton specs:
Caster range 2 3/4 - 4 1/4 preferred 3 1/2 P, Camber 1 P - 2 P, preferred 1/2 P, Toe in 1/16 - 1/4 ".

Too bad they only gave you the specs, and not the actual settings. Even though it falls within spec, there are differences to be felt depending on the actual settings.
And unless they charged you several hundred dollars, I'm willing to be they did not actually set/adjust the camber or caster. Just left it where they found it.
Likely as not if they adjusted anything it was just the toe-in. But if they found it within spec they would not have touched that either.
But you can...

I usually recommend to people experiencing odd behavior with their rigs to tweak the toe-in settings a tiny bit each way to see how they like the changes. When I was daily driving mine I would do that every time i put a new set of tires on it. It was quite surprising how much you could feel just a 1/8 turn of the adjusting sleeve. I almost always found that right in the middle was the sweet spot, but not always.
You can easily change the toe-in without measuring just by turning the sleeve with simple hand tools that most (but not all) of us have laying around. A pipe-wrench comes in very handy here.

In the course of recently replacing axel seals, I've done a lot of work on the front end: servicing kingpins and bearings, new shim pack, torquing knuckle rotation to spec.

Good information to know that the knuckles turn within spec. This can be a big deal, so it's nice to know yours are good.

Then the only things left are track bar (which looks original) and steering box - I did at the beginning of this have someone turn the wheel while looking at the front end, and check the box bolts etc. So in choosing between the two, since the axel alignment is off by about an inch, probably that's the one to work on next !

Makes sense. Definitely get some precision measurements off of the frame (not the body, which can shift, or be damaged over time) and make that adjustment.
I've been of the opinion that most people will never feel up to a 1/4" off, but by the time you get to 1/2 and more so at 3/4 inch, it has to change at least some mannerisms. Doubt they'd cause an actual "wobble" like you're experiencing, but a wander? Sure thing.

Another thing to look at is remembering never to trust new parts. Even tires.
If it's acting funny, and wobbles often come from tires (if your use of the word "wobble" is what we're thinking), then simply rotating the tires might give you more clues. Or even fix the problem!
Sometimes a belt is bad inside a tire and under braking or turning the load changes and a wobble makes itself known. So here's where more detail would be good. Is the wobble felt in the steering wheel? Or is the front of the truck pogoing up and down on one side? Is it shifting side to side under different conditions (bump steer basically) or something else?

Definitely go to the trackbar. Since it sounds like an adjustable one is in your future and they're going to come with new bushings anyway, you'll kill two birds with one stone.
Pay particular attention to the upper bolt. If the bolt is original too it's very possible it's rusted down to a point where it should be replaced. This is a common issue and I found mine was rusted badly when the truck was only 6 or 7 years old. You've got almost 50 more on me!
The weld on the lower bolt can crack too, and while it won't fall out because it's fully captured, it will allow the lower one to flex under use and cause a tiny bit of wandering. Re-welding has fixed many for members here.
If your lower and upper are compromised, along with original rubber bushings being worn out perhaps, it's very likely a good bit of wandering is from this.

No way to tell the condition of the steering box from here. You'll have to inspect it closely. And that screw is not to be messed with haphazardly. It's a preload adjustment for initial setup and a tiny bit of adjustment over the years. But not much...

So, trackbar, steering box, tire pressures, tire rotation, and toe-in experimenting are still in your future it sounds like.
Have fun!!!%)

Paul