• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

68 Bronco V8 radiator core support question

Dannebrog53

I'm new to the Forum and could use some help from the group. I have an early (November 67 build) 68 Bronco, original V8 Ranger that I'm installing a Vintage Air Heat, Defrost A/C in. Here's my problem, my 68 has a smaller radiator opening than the 69-77 core support, its 16 3/4" wide by 10 5/8" high from the channel at the bottom of the core support to the channel on the top. I'm guessing this design was a "transitional model change thing. It has full length top to bottom radiator support brackets that need to be cut Like the 69-77 so I can mount the A/C condenser as close to the radiator as possible for best possible airflow through both and to allow for proper A/C supply and return line connection to the condenser. Unlike the 69-77 my 68 doesn't have the 2 stiffener channels spot welded along the each side of the radiator cutout/opening. Anyone know of someone making these stiffeners? I don't want to change out a perfectly good core support and I want to try and maintain as much of the original Ford design.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I run a 408 Cleveland in a 68 v8 core support. Cooling has not been an issue

OP
OP
D

Dannebrog53

I run a 408 Cleveland in a 68 v8 core support. Cooling has not been an issue

That's a different approach.

The issue is fitting the A/C condenser. the first photo shows the full length radiator bracket on the back side of the core support.

ED75622A-53DF-4B6A-8DFA-B290EACCBCEB.jpg

In this photo you can see there's no "U" channel stiffeners along the sides of the radiator cutout to strengthen it.

6D8C958D-2955-4A5B-9FDC-CFC1DE93FF75.jpg

SHX669

Bronco Guru
On my sept '67 build - 68 model year I made the opening bigger . I cut out both sides of the opening vertically as close as i could to the " u channel " supports then horizontally toward the hood latch leaving the radiator mounting brackets in place.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there, welcome to classicbroncos!

Anyone know of someone making these stiffeners?

Don't think they're made, or at least not that I've seen. But it seems like a simple enough material to find already formed so that you can just cut to length.

I'll try to look for some pics of my '68 with A/C to see if Doug did anything odd or overtly creative to get the condenser installed.

Is yours a brand new A/C system? Or have you had it for awhile? Just wondering if they might have made any changes to yours that are different from mine. Pretty sure Doug (member 904Bronco here) used a combination of parts from BC Broncos and Vintage air.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have an early (November 67 build) 68 Bronco, original V8 Ranger...

By the way... What did you mean by an original V8 Ranger? The Ranger package was not introduced until very late '72 or into the '73 model year I'm pretty sure.
I think the only optional "package" in '68 would have been the Sport trim.

Just checking in case yours says Ranger on it somewhere. If so, it was put there by a PO and not Ford.

Paul

T-7ToNewOldB

I used these on the bottom of the radiator. Worked pretty well. Krawlers Edge made it for me and I think they were going to sell them. Not sure. I bought my frame from them. Depends on what your frame is like. These are great as they are adjustable. In both axis.

A44E86F6-9CE2-4BBF-8C93-5D1D85D4CA91.jpg

chuckyb

Contributor
I had similar issues installing AC on my 68 installing the Tom's Bronco kit due to the shape of the core support. My solution can be found on the last couple of pages of my build thread at the below link.

OP
OP
D

Dannebrog53

By the way... What did you mean by an original V8 Ranger? The Ranger package was not introduced until very late '72 or into the '73 model year I'm pretty sure.
I think the only optional "package" in '68 would have been the Sport trim.

Just checking in case yours says Ranger on it somewhere. If so, it was put there by a PO and not Ford.

Paul

My bad (bad memory) I was thinking of the fender emblem and it says Sport not Ranger duh. I've had the Vintage A/C unit for 10 years but never had the A/C working because of the condenser being 1 1/2" from the radiator which causes turbulence between then and less efficient cooling and my gauges confirmed that

OP
OP
D

Dannebrog53

I used these on the bottom of the radiator. Worked pretty well. Krawlers Edge made it for me and I think they were going to sell them. Not sure. I bought my frame from them. Depends on what your frame is like. These are great as they are adjustable. In both axis.

View attachment 503228

I have stock frame and unfortunately that won't work on it

OP
OP
D

Dannebrog53

I had similar issues installing AC on my 68 installing the Tom's Bronco kit due to the shape of the core support. My solution can be found on the last couple of pages of my build thread at the below link.

Very nice build @chuckyb! You have the condenser were I had mine installed. I was hoping to move it to the back side of the core support so it would be almost up against the radiator. The other plus is you don't have to run the A/C supply and return hoses through the support. Nows when I wished I still worked in the aircraft sheetmetal shop would've been cake to bend a couple of channels up.

OP
OP
D

Dannebrog53

Hey there, welcome to classicbroncos!

Don't think they're made, or at least not that I've seen. But it seems like a simple enough material to find already formed so that you can just cut to length.

I'll try to look for some pics of my '68 with A/C to see if Doug did anything odd or overtly creative to get the condenser installed.

Is yours a brand new A/C system? Or have you had it for awhile? Just wondering if they might have made any changes to yours that are different from mine. Pretty sure Doug (member 904Bronco here) used a combination of parts from BC Broncos and Vintage air.

Paul

That would be great if you could. BTW I meant to come this week to get a headliner but decided I'd probably destroy it while wait to install. I'm going wait until you have the parchment pleated vinyl quarter panels and arm rests for the back seat in stock again.