• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6r80 NSS wire that supplies a ground connection

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I have a Quick 6 Gen 2 in a 6r80 for over a year and am trying to get the NSS to work for finishing tuning. Is Pin 1 (on the 16 pin connector) with the gray wire the source for this connection? All I need is a ground signal when and only when the the 6r80 is in P or N. No voltage, just a ground like it's supposed to have to operate a relay to keep you from accidently starting your engine in gear.

I have tested this wire off of Pin 1 and it does not go to ground when the trans is in P or N either with the key on or off. No voltage either.

What wire coming out of the trans is connected to what wire in the Quick 6 harness that would give me this grd source? I have torn my entire controller harness apart tracing wires but have not pulled the actual connector to the trans off since if I remember correctly you get access to it when the pan is off. Another $120 in fluid costs...

I don't have much hope of USShift ever getting back to me since they have become so busy and don't return calls or emails reliably. Their customer service used to be outstanding. Now it's like they are outstanding in a "no service zone" where emails & phone calls never make it to them.

UPDATE: (I got through after 2 days of calling). Yeah!!

Last edited:

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are there other options? Asking for me when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'll get this figured out and post up the results.

I don't know why the #1 wire/pin that is supposed to be grounded thru the controller isn't grounded when the trans is in N or P. If its not grounded out then it won't allow the relay to close to allow the starter to engage.

Have calls and emails in to USShift.

Last edited:

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
The. Connector at the trans shows pin 1. As the turbine speed sensor signal on a couple different years I checked .. the pics show pin locations and index shows assignment I can get a wiring schematic if you like this is for stock diagrams what year vehicle if you got
That info

Attachments

• 9050308D-9824-4E88-95F8-B982811C775C.jpg
    9050308D-9824-4E88-95F8-B982811C775C.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 261FCFB7-47E4-46E5-A636-5809DBAB87C4.jpg
    261FCFB7-47E4-46E5-A636-5809DBAB87C4.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Those are the diagrams I've been referencing. Pin 1 on the Quick6, 16 pin connector is supposed to be connected to the NSS and not allow the vehckle to start unless in N/P.

I was wrongfully assuming that this "Pin 1" would be grounded when the shifter was in P or N because the Quick 6 wiring diagram shows it being the actual ground for the relay in their instruction manual. Well, when I test continuity on that gray #1 wire/pin it does not show (or beep) showing a grd on my Fluke ohm meter.

Kevin today (took 5 calls from me) reassured me that if I wire it up according to their instructions it will work... how, I dont know because all relays have to be gounded to work.

Oh well, I will try wiring it as per their instructions and then see if Garry can get whatever signal he needs off of it to finish the fine tuning on my tune.

Never easy... lol

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Those are the diagrams I've been referencing. Pin 1 on the Quick6, 16 pin connector is supposed to be connected to the NSS and not allow the vehckle to start unless in N/P.

I was wrongfully assuming that this "Pin 1" would be grounded when the shifter was in P or N because the Quick 6 wiring diagram shows it being the actual ground for the relay in their instruction manual. Well, when I test continuity on that gray #1 wire/pin it does not show (or beep) showing a grd on my Fluke ohm meter.

Kevin today (took 5 calls from me) reassured me that if I wire it up according to their instructions it will work... how, I dont know because all relays have to be gounded to work.

Oh well, I will try wiring it as per their instructions and then see if Garry can get whatever signal he needs off of it to finish the fine tuning on my tune.

Never easy... lol
Brian...I just looked at the user manuel and on page 16 it shows the wiring scematic for that circuit..That grey wire is suppling the ground for a relay it's an output not an input ,,,So i'm assuming the controller is using the TRS [{page 15 }6 pin connector on controller] as the input for shifter position to determine if it will supply a ground on that wire.. could be wrong but thats what it seems to me..

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'm going to temporarily wire the NSS in place . 2 relays, 10 wires and I'll try it to see if it works. I'll include a photo of the wiring needed.

Attachments

• 20211011_211051.jpg
    20211011_211051.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 7