• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

71 bronco not going into gear

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Ok haven't driven my bronco since fall.has been kept in the garage.started it today with it in neutral.when I try to put it in reverse it grinDs.any other gear and it won't budge.if I try to start it in reverse it kind of lunges up and won't turn over.hope it's nothing major.thanks jason
Also it's a 302 three in the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Ok read something on the net.i don't think my parking brake was releasing all the way .dont think this has anything to do with the shifter but it freed it up and didn't grind anymore and goes in gear

Joe473

What you described sounds like the clutch disc sticking to the flywheel. Sometimes from sitting it takes a little load on the clutch to break them loose. Sometime the break loose on their own.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Agree /\ /\ . I've never heard the parking brake stopping the transmission from being put in gear.

My tractor sits sometimes and the clutch will try to stick.

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Ok thanks . I'm a little mechanical but not a whole lot so that sounds good. Thanks for the reply. Anything I could do to prevent in the future other than drive it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Agree on the clutch on the fly wheel. Most utility tractors come with a latch to keep the clutch pedal depressed for long term storage, to prevent that issues.