• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'72 Bronco project (Cypress, Tx)

Dne007

Contributor
Hi, dne' here from Cypress, tx. Just bought a '72 Bronco explorer, it's a project, so just getting this build thread started as I do have a few questions.

dne'

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor

What's a decent size tire for the street? These look neat, but don't know how they would do on the street.

mac77

Loc.
Vicksburg
The ssr is a decent road tread. M in me were hard to balance perfectly. If Bronco will be mainly street I would probably swap it. Hard to go wrong with a 33” bfg at. I run a 2.5” suspension with a 1” body lift.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Thank you Mac!

The ssr is a decent road tread. M in me were hard to balance perfectly. If Bronco will be mainly street I would probably swap it. Hard to go wrong with a 33” bfg at. I run a 2.5” suspension with a 1” body lift.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Started some real progress, should get on the frame tomorrow tearing apart!

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You work fast! Having a lift is really nice for that kind of work. Good luck.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
omg, YES, lifts are great, I have two maxjax lifts plus a 4 post and they're awesome;)

You work fast! Having a lift is really nice for that kind of work. Good luck.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I could use a little advice here~ somewhere along this Broncos journey, someone welded on "new" frame horns to accommodate a really large bumper. Pretty much destroying the front frame. I thought about possibly reusing the old bumper, but modifying it to look better, but at the same time I'd like to return it to its original state. Are frame ends available? I see shorties out there, but mine need to be longer. Just putting this question out here;)
dne'

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Thanks, I contacted Bronco graveyard, but don't know anything if they can make the part or not.

I know a guy that might have some if they are not available from 1 of the vendors.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Wanted to get the engine off the frame, got the 302 off, but lacking two bolts to attach to my engine stand:( I'll move it into another part of the shop for "storage", just want to focus on the frame. Never heard from Bronco Graveyard about the frame parts:(

Now's just a matter of keeping stripping the frame of parts~ but do need to work on the shop for places to put the parts~ amazing how much room a dismantled vehicle can take up! lol

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Thank you! I'll pay the 12 bucks as soon as I finish here, didn't know that about the picture thing. The '76 Ford 2600 was a project a few months ago. It was my fathers tractor which he bought new in '76. AFter he passed away in '82, no one wanted the tractor in my family, I finally got it and quickly restored it and love having it here!

Long term plans on my Bronco? Do a good job, not Jay Leno good, but my level which is pretty good. I do all my own body work, frame should be interesting. I need to slow down and enjoy it; I tend to rush to get through projects. But I would like an Automatic for my husband as he has hip problems and has a difficult time pushing on a clutch, so a C4 would be sufficent for our driving wants. And, just having fun along the way; making new friends here hopefully.
dne' ;)

Welcome.

Moving right along. What are your long term plans?

What is the tractor on the lift?

You may not know this yet, it's much easier to post pictures by paying the $12 to become a contributor.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/payments.php

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Didn't take you long to become a contributor. This site is well worth it.

Family history on the tractor makes it a keeper. Some day I will move down to around that size, I think it makes a perfect gentleman's farm size. Wasn't 76 close to when they first started making them? More than a few people here that farm.

Do you plan to use it mostly on road, light off road, moderate off road, etc?

There is a member here I believe in the Midwest that might have the frame parts you need (delnick?). Hopefully someone will chime in with better information.

If you haven't already done it some heavy duty metal shelves will be a big help along with some totes to keep things organized. Label and bag everything, I know kind of late for that. If you have something you don't recall where it came from post a picture and someone will be able to tell you exactly where it came from.

Love the shop toys.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I could use a little advice here~ somewhere along this Broncos journey, someone welded on "new" frame horns to accommodate a really large bumper. Pretty much destroying the front frame. I thought about possibly reusing the old bumper, but modifying it to look better, but at the same time I'd like to return it to its original state. Are frame ends available? I see shorties out there, but mine need to be longer. Just putting this question out here;)
dne'

You can get frame horn repair pieces here:

https://www.ebay.com/str/earlybroncopartsstore

The guy who runs that store is here on the board under the username catfan

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/member.php?u=50341

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Thank you gnpenning! the contributing part is well worth the admission and then some! As for the use when someday I make my Bronco roadworthy, it will just be a nice Bronco to drive to car get togethers, take the grandkids for rides, drive to local restaurants, etc. It will never see a trail, well not as long as I own it.

Thank you for your help and advise;) always appreciate it!!;D
dne'

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I think what I don't know is once I cut off the bad metal, I don't have a template or where to re-weld in the new metal? I know to level the frame, have a new bumper on hand. I see couple Broncos around in neighborhoods, I may just whip in one of their driveways and obtain some measurements.

ON the rear, someone welded on a larger than life mammoth bumper! Same goes, but I can just make out where the original edges are. Tomorrow I'll follow those jagged weld lines and cut the ugly thing off. Then order some of the parts from the "bronco store". But I'm going to take a close look at the frame as it looks like it could be tweaked, might just be my tri-focals messing with me! lol

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I leveled the frame and find that the front frame horns were installed not square to the frame. These need to come off and looks like I'll have to fabricate my own frame pieces as the new ones aren't long enough, but still can use the new pieces. Whoever did this did a horrible job:(

As for the rear, that will be much easier to replace, but my focus will be on the front for now.

I think I'll just clean up the rest of the day~ kids and grandkids coming in so the house is priority one;)