• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 auto column gear indicator on a 74 column and up???need help

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
I don't know if it will fit. The 74-77's are easier to obtain, or do you want a 73 look??

OP
OP
BlazinCopper

BlazinCopper

Loc.
Jackson, TN
Yes. I just want the indicator showing with no housing around it. The 73 has a wider base and I think it will take up some of the area where the housing indention would is. I polished the upper column and do not want a black housing showing.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had a '73 column and remember it being very different then the '74 and up. The '73 Bronco column was a one year only (actually two half years as there was a mid year change to a bearing). But look for other early 70's or late 60's fords for parts.

I needed a shift collor with the shark fin pointer for the '73. What they sell is the '74 and up and pointer which works to a degree. I cut the fin off the '73 and grafted it onto the repop collar. So there is a degree of interchangability in the shift collars.

But the window and hood look very different. I don't see a way to cleanly convert that.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Zero provision to light up the '73.
That was the big upgrade for '74, adding a light bulb. Which required adding the hood, changing the pointer, changing the plastic window with the gear positions on it, and all the other little changes that happened to the auto column in '74

More functional (illuminated) but not nearly as good looking as the '73. Lost style points.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I bet you could swap the column parts from a '60s to early '70s truck or van auto column. I believe those had a similar look to the '73 column.

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
The illumination on my 74 is horrible, replaced the entire indicator assembly. Also new turn signal switch which contains the bulb, still no light!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
By indicator, are you talking the plastic window with the letters on it or the little stick that lines up with the letters?