• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 Front Disk Conversion...Warn Hubs

Hella.Stoked

Loc.
Reno
Hola! Completed the front disk conversion from wild Horses but when I install the Warn premium hubs the caps dont seat all the way. I know I dont use the small snap ring and I have installed the bolt and washer but am I supposed to leave out the large locking ring also? I just cant see why it wont seat all the way.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope, you can't leave out the big ring or the locking mechanism won't have anything to hold it in.

Is it possible that the bolt and/or washer is too big, interfering with the hub?

Paul

DJs74

Bronco Guru
You might check and make sure the seal on the cap isn't giving you problems. A little light lube like Vaseline or WD40 will help ensure the seal slides in easily. Installing seals that aren't properly seated or dry can cause interference and prevent the cap from seating.

DJs74

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't forget too, if you need the Bronco to drive, you can drive it without a locking hub installed. Has no bearing on anything but using 4wd and sealing up the big hole left by it.
Rubber band and a sandwich bag, tape, or just the knob and cap can get you there.

Not saying to do that normally, but if ya gotta go, ya gotta go. Just letting everyone know you can if you have to.

How much farther do you have to get it to seat? 1/2"? 1/8"? Less?

Good luck.

Paul

DeezNCSU

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
When I did my WH disc conversion and installed the new warn premium hubs, I didn't put the bolt and washer on the end, I just used the snap rings. I read some other posts on here that said that was fine. So far, no issues for me.

OP
OP
H

Hella.Stoked

Loc.
Reno
Oh I don't need to drive it, it's in the complete restore stage. I was trying to use the small snap ring but it wouldn't work cuz the groove won't show. The caps are close maybe an eighth of an inch or less. But from what y'all are saying is I definitely need to use the large snap ring....well maybe I'll try the stock large snap ring as it is flat and the one that came with the warn premium hubs is round....make sense?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, but I don't think you'll gain enough to make the difference. Worth a try though, just in case!
Usually nothing wrong with either round or flat. I prefer the single wire to the ones with the multiple wraps (like a super-flat spring coiled up) for ease of use, but maybe there's some advantage to that type I'm not fathoming.

Paul

Bobby73

I am having the same problem with my Wildhorses conversion and warn premium hubs. When I test fit without the rotor installed I cannot get enough clearance for the large snap ring. It won't seat on either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby73

I am doing a front disk brake conversion with the warn premium hubs on a 1973 and I cant even get the large snap ring to seat properly when test fitting uninstalled on either rotor/hub. It is too tight and won't hold. If I got it, there definitely would not be any play...

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Like DirtDonk says you need the large outer ring to hold the internals of the hub, so the cap has something to bolt. I don't use the small snap ring or the bolt and washer, on mine and it's work fine with out the axle snap ring.

Bobby73

Thanks Savage. The larger outer ring won't seat even with it not mounted up.

Bobby73

These are photos unmounted on my work bench. Large outer ring won't seat...
d4e18fa5ce0486945891cd8ce72c5add.jpg
24a3f09872d2647ea6da7c3a5349811f.jpg
dd26214b7802b2f9f9f3ce1639c1de7f.jpg