• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 in. carrier bearing preload

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
What's the preferred method for setting the carrier bearing preload. I've seen some check the amount of case spread with a dial indicator. And others tell me "Run the side adjusters up snug, then after pattern and backlash are set, tighten side adjusters one more hole". I'd like to hear what you guys are doing.

Mark

fordtrucksrule

i do them like i do wheel bearings i snug them up until i get some drag and then lock them never had a issue in over 25k miles

phldwsnoc1

Loc.
Jarrettsville, MD
What usually happens is...

... the pinion preload is set and rotational torque is measured with an inch-pound torque wrench. 10-20 is an average preload spec for the pinion. Then the carrier is added to the mix and total rotational torque is measured. Then you do the math. Total minus pinion equals carrier. While I am not an expert with the nine inch, this has worked for me with dozens of diffs. Good luck!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
He's not asking about pinion preload.
basically as you've heard you snug up the adjusters until there is no backlash then adjust the one farthest away from the ring gear until you get the backlash that is required. I dont know if one hole will do it or not I always use a dial indicator. You best bet is to always use a dial indicator. If you set up diffs regularly or for a living then you could probably do it without. but its better to be 100% sure.

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I'm using the dial indicator to set the back lash. I don't know how to properly set the carrier preload. I just found the spec. for carrier preload, it's .008-.012 carrier spread (after adjusters are snug). This seems to be way to do it, is it?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
preload and back lash are more of less adjusted at the same time. So setting the back lash should result in the correct bearing preload. basically you adjust the bearing on the ring gear side so that you have no back lash. then adjust the opposite bearing until you get the required back lash. or you can measure case spread then check your back lash.