• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 Explorer 5.0 Engine swap

wbdevil67

Hey Guys
I want to do an engine swap in my 73 to a 96 explore 5.0 and was wondering if it will bolt up to my C4 tranny and if the flex plate needs to be changed. I have already been told that my manifolds will work but I was also wondering if I needed to watch out for any thing else.
Thanks for all your help in advance

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '73 C4 should be the 11.4" bolt circle. That will be the same as the 4R70W flexplate. Although it will be easier to use the '73 block plate as the bottom cover is matched to the C4.

Now if someone swapped in a Bronco C4 with the 10.5" bolt circle you will need to find a new torque convertor with the 11.4" bolt circle and still keep the '96 flexplate.

ren71

You'll need to change to a 50oz imbalance flex plate for the c4 if you want to use the modern engine

ren71

Broncobowsher said above that the 4r70W uses the same flexplate. That would be your best bet if you're already buying the explorer engine, ask if they'll throw in the flexplate.

You can get the flexplate from most late model 5.0s e.g.79-93 fox body mustangs, they use the 50oz imbalance; but I think the 351s use the 28oz imbalance even on their late model engines. Research and double check, I could be wrong.