• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 Explorer harness re-work - What's left in original?

bsquared

Contributor
I finally dug into "Old Crusty", the original harness that took it on the chin in the fire. Lucky for me that I had not tossed the rats nest of left over wires from the 96 Explorer harness rework. I had plenty of same color wires to splice in.

I think I was lucky in that the firewall connectors were spared and I was able to splice all of the bad spots pretty easily.

Couple of big questions....The 96 Explorer harness did not have a wire for the 3G alternator I'm running, right? (98 and later did, or that's what I took from the video) So I'll keep the 10 gauge wiring I've been running in my original harness.

Only other thing that stands out is for the starter relay. Wire 262 (brown) used to tie in to 16 (red/grn) as it went into the firewall and over to the coil. 16 got fried and coil is now gone, replaced by coil packs. So I can just tie 262 into 16 at the firewall connector, right?

Hopefully make some headway on the block / intakes tonight.

Here's some pics of where I was and am now. Thanks in advance! B2

Attachments

• 1.5Fire5.JPG
    1.5Fire5.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.6Fire6.JPG
    1.6Fire6.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PaintPrep1.JPG
    PaintPrep1.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 28
  • HarnessDone2.JPG
    HarnessDone2.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7004.JPG
    IMG_7004.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Crusty.JPG
    Crusty.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Crusty3.JPG
    Crusty3.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Crusty4.JPG
    Crusty4.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Crusty2.JPG
    Crusty2.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 16

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
My 96 motor and harness has the charging feed wires... Large black wire with an orange stripe. Early ones had two fuseable links at the supply end, later Explorers have a large fuse in the distribution block. (I think...) That 10g wire will not last long with an Alt that is usually configured at 130 amps.
Most aftermarket kits run a 4g wire with a 150amp mega fuse.

The Brown wire is not needed with Explorer... I am not up enough on factory harnesses to give direction on your question. If memory serves me, that wire provided a full 12v when the starter relay was closed, to the coil to aide in start up.