• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

99 explorer engine

WLDSTALLION

I would like to up grade my engine, and I found a 99 explorer 5.0 motor with 2 wheel drive trans for $500. Will have to convert this to older style, since it is obdII. Or should I pass and look for a older mustang engine. It seems like a good deal but will I have alot of money converting the electronics.
Thanks Brad

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
The 99 Explorer should have the GT40P heads which means you will be limited on choice of headers. Not a show stopper, just something to be prepared for.

Read through this site to answer your questions about the wiring, computer, etc. Short story, you will want to mimic the 87-93 mustang setup so some money will need to be spent there.

Also take a look at Tito's thread about using this type of engine for more information.
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119070

I am just wrapping up a 98 explorer install but haven't cranked it yet. Hopefully will be done this weekend.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would get it and just find a mustang distributor/computer and order a RJM harness and you are basically done. I would rather have a 99 Explorer motor that a mom hauled her kids around in than a 91 Mustang motor that 17 different teenagers have owned and raced. Just my opinion. I would also not buy the transmission and wait for a trans out of a 5.0 4x4 Explorer. It will save you a lot of money on adapters to have one with a 4x4 tail housing.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
No distributer in the 99 engine. It is crank trigger and coil packs all computer controlled.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I would get it and just find a mustang distributor/computer and order a RJM harness and you are basically done. I would rather have a 99 Explorer motor that a mom hauled her kids around in than a 91 Mustang motor that 17 different teenagers have owned and raced. Just my opinion. I would also not buy the transmission and wait for a trans out of a 5.0 4x4 Explorer. It will save you a lot of money on adapters to have one with a 4x4 tail housing.

what he said

especially if the engine includes all the serpentine drive accessories

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I just did the same, I went ahead & pulled the trigger on the 2wd since I'm using the AA adapter kit for the tranny anyways. I'm sure someone will chime in but if you use the d20 tc then you will need to use that adapter anyways. Plus it's good to pull the trans apart & replace some wear items & inspect while changing out the tail shaft. I'm still in the early stages of retrofitting my bronco with efi, serp & o.d. So like you I'm doing a bunch of research & fact finding right now. Good luck!