• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A few more Ron Davis Rad. Install Questions from a Greenhorn

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
I will be installing a 4 core aluminum Ron Davis radiatior soon. I will need to plug the auto cooling ports and am wondering if what I need are the particular plugs that prevent electrolysis (aluminum or stainless steel), like the ones from WildHorses:
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/11.asp
Also, I am assuming it is important to always used distilled water, correct?

Will I need a new fan shroad if mine is plastic?

ransil

Bronco Guru
I got my aluminum plugs from McMaster Carr or MSC.

Ron Davis makes a nice aluminum shroud. Driven and other's carry it.

OP
OP
commonlaw

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
ransil said:
I got my aluminum plugs from McMaster Carr or MSC.

Ron Davis makes a nice aluminum shroud. Driven and other's carry it.

Ransil, so I do NEED to get aluminum plugs right? How bout the shroud, do I NEED to have it to prevent elctrolysis or is my old plastic one ok? Thanks,

ZookBronc - I have already purchased it from a member here for a good price so I just need to work with what I will have.

Thanks guys.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Aluminium plugs will be fine. Most speed shops will have them or can get them. Stainless will also work.

Plastic does not conduct, eletrolisis isn't a problem. The Ron Davis radiator is designed as a drop in replacment for the Bronco should accept the stock fan shoud. Maybe a nip of the corners, but it should work just fine.

The radiator should be a simple 2 core, not a 4 core. Aluminium radiator cores are about twice as big as copper so half are needed for the same thickness.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am using the stock fan shroud on my Ron Davis.

I was also told by a tech at Ron Davis that you could use brass plugs on the trans connections and it wouldn't cause any problems. I hope he was right because that is what I did.

I run 50/50 prestone mix in mine.

Broncorm

Loc.
Perkinsville, VT
You can use the stock plastic shroud but that Ron Davis shroud looks Real nice in there with his Aluminium radiator.

Attachments

• 7782[1].jpg
    7782[1].jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 64

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
if not worried about looks,,,, I've found cold galvanzing spray (zinc) all over the fittings allows the aluminum,brass & steel lines(top inlet) to live in harmony while the zinc sacrifices itself just like the zinc blocks on my outboard boat motor,,,, I also use the 50/50 mix prestone coolant to insure having the puriest water & because of no varying in the ratio of coolant to water mix

Attachments

• P5151461.JPG
    P5151461.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 30

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
commonlaw said:
I will be installing a 4 core aluminum Ron Davis radiatior soon. I will need to plug the auto cooling ports and am wondering if what I need are the particular plugs that prevent electrolysis (aluminum or stainless steel), like the ones from WildHorses:

I am working on some of the questions right now since my new Ron Davis radiator just arrived. I am using the aluminum drain plug. For your radiator with the auto trans fittings, anything not in contact with the coolant should not experience high rates of electrolysis, so plugging the trans lines with brass should be fine.
The stock fiberglass fan shroud fits and looks o.k., for the stock pulleys or Mustang serp arrangement. But if you are running the Explorer serpentine set-up, the fan is much farther away from the radiator than stock and the stock shroud does not adequately cover the fan. Using the rule of thumb that says the fan should be about 1/3 in and 2/3 out of the shroud, this means that any shroud for the Explorer serp arrangement should be 1 3/4 to 2 inches deeper.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a pic I found of mine that you can kinda tell what the stock shroud looks like with the Ron Davis Rad if looks are a concern, it functions fine.

Attachments

• shroud.jpg
    shroud.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
commonlaw

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
Thanks guys. Yeah, I am not too concerned about look right now. Maybe in the future.

Rather than risk improper mixture, I will just go with the 50/50. I wasn't sure if the water content in the pre-mixed was actually good stuff or just NY city municipal aqua;)

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
commonlaw said:

If you're worried about electrolysis don't use tap water, use distilled water. If the solution is de-ionized, electrolysis can't occur (if the solution can conduct electricity electrolysis can occur).
As previously discussed the best way to combat electrolysis it to have a sacrificial metal (anode).
By placing disimilar metals into non-distilled water (or any other ionized solution, acid etc.) in contact with each other you are creating a battery. Depending on the types of metal and the solution, the current flow (which strips and plates) will vary.
Surface area ratios between the 2 metals will determine how fast each is stripped or plated.
If you used SS plugs the surface are ratio is so small that very little if any stripping of the aluminum will take place. Aluminum plugs would be neutral. Brass would be safer than SS.
Here is a good chart showing galvanic properties of metals.
http://www.metal-mart.com/Guides/Galvanic.htm
Pick any 2 and put them in a solution.
The higher one (one the chart) will disolve into solution and plate onto the lower one (on the chart). This chart illustrates why boats use Zinc or Magnesium anodes to protect their metal parts. As long as the anode is on contact with the base metal, the anode will dissolve (corrode) and protect the base metal.