• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AC Compressor on passenger side ?

hahnn6

I just ordered the vintageair kit with the compressor mount on the passenger side. Is there a reason why nobody seems to mount it on that side? It seems like there's a little more room to work with over there. I saw one post where a guy has it on that side but beyond that I can't really find a reason why it's on the driver side except that "people now run them on this side" type of wording. If there's a big reason to avoid the passenger side or any input or advice on what I need to make it successfully work please let me know! The bracket part number for the passenger side is 105R in my receipt.

Thank you

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
my 77 has it on the passenger side had to make a fan spacer to keep the fan blade away from the clutch on the AC compressor been this way for 10 years no issues had to remake a high side hose to the condenser ,if it was on the driver side high up by the upper radiator hose can be an issue ,vintage air system

Attachments

• E215C280-3E82-426D-8790-BB40A78E586F.jpeg
    E215C280-3E82-426D-8790-BB40A78E586F.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 22D4BD35-A4E3-4737-82FC-13A3E87B6939.jpeg
    22D4BD35-A4E3-4737-82FC-13A3E87B6939.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 36
  • 4933BCBC-479E-456F-A410-1AA698DB97EF.jpeg
    4933BCBC-479E-456F-A410-1AA698DB97EF.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 34

Broncobowsher

Contributor
Total hack
Back in the day they mounted them there, sometimes.
Driver's side is the typical factory location. That is just where Ford like to put them. Typically there is a hole on the driver's side that they naturally fall into. Aftermarket just uses that same hole that Ford left them, most of the time anyway.

Vintage air decided that the passenger side was a better fit. In general you can often package the lines all down one side being on the passenger side. There is potential for cleaner packaging. Hope you don't have to run the air injection pump, you can run out of room over there. I think Vintage is more concerned with a clean custom look and not adapting to an emissions package on the engine.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco/ford engines are pushed over closer to the passenger fender, so maybe it was due to there being more room between the engine and drivers inner fender.

Broncobowsher

Contributor
Total hack
I have seen aftermarket dealer air that put a york compressor on the passenger side. run off a short belt on a double alternator pulley. Simple way around limited crankshaft pulley options. I can't imagine the alternator belt was happy with that.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Its because ford engineers suck and change their pulley drived for every change. you will find compressor mounts on the passengers side until you run imto the california models with the smog pump then everything changes due to the cast steel mounting bracket to run the alternator and smog pump then you have to mount on the drivers side dealing with the problems with the power steering mount. just too many combinations and pulley problems dealing with Ford run changes and too little room.

FordFarmer

Contributor
When I bought my Bronco it had a non functioning knee knocker with a driver side York compressor and mount. When I installed the VA Gen IV I kept it over there but really wish I had tucked it in on the passenger side. It would have made hose routing so much cleaner. When you get it sorted make sure to come back and post a picture of your install and the parts you ended up using for future reference.

Dne007

Contributor
I wish I had read this before having installed my Classic Auto air system. I'm not displeased, just would have pondered the idea of the passenger side mount. The Classic auto air system~ I wound up making my own hoses as I didn't like the routing of the pre-made hoses which came with the package. I've since charged the system, but haven't ran the engine as I'm not there yet. I would say routing the AC lines from the passenger side would have been much nicer vs lengthy hoses.
dne'

Attachments

• Bronco AC engine compartment.jpg
    Bronco AC engine compartment.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Bronco AC engine compartmenta.jpg
    Bronco AC engine compartmenta.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Bronco AC engine compartmentb.jpg
    Bronco AC engine compartmentb.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Bronco AC installatione.jpg
    Bronco AC installatione.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 33
  • Bronco AC installationb.jpg
    Bronco AC installationb.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 40

Quick & Dirty

The drivers side head is farther back (a connecting rod width), so there is a little more room on that side that makes it the factory preference.