• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advance Auto Parts Rebuilt Engines

bronccar

Anyone have any experience with these? The price and the warranty are pretty good.

Thanks!

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
If you are talking about the RECON brand, I have a friend that purchased a chev 350 last year and is real happy with it. I purchased a 302 last year installed it ran it and uninstalled it, it is sitting on my garage floor right now. As far as I can say they are pretty good.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
I can't remember, I think it was the upgrade. I had it installed and started it up every now and then to let it run while I still worked on the remaining bronco. then found another bronco, parted the 74 and the 302 sits on the garage floor. But my friend had purchased the 350 cheby for his 3/4 t van, and hauls stuff once in a while, pulls a trailer and has driven to the corvette show/ swap in ILL, can't remember the name the last two years. He seems to think it has been a good engine. His purchase was a basic model.

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
I have had one in my bronco for almost 2 years now and have beed really happy with it. And as far as I know nobody can beat the warranty.

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
Ive got one in mine as well (302). I cant remember what the price was but I can find the receipt if I looked hard enough. I havent had any problems. Knock on wood.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
I think mine was about $11-1150 after the exchange. The warranties and I think it applies to all rebuilt engines, the installation is only good if you have an authorized mechanic install it. Otherwise it is voided. The engine came with the heads, keep in mind all rebuilt reman engines come with heads set up for unleaded gas, small spark pug holes.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Most of the time these motors are very cheap and I would NOT recommend useing one on a keeper. If it is a car that you are going to get rid of mite be ok. Find a good machine shop and build it your self. If you cant have the machine shop do it for you. Also get name brand parts (no regrind on the cam) go new. also new oil pump (not rebuilt) double roller timming chain ect. good luck. ;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p

Hogback

I FULLY agree with Wildbill
i've heard people say those engines aren't any good and i've heard of people who had to cash in on the warranty, but I have one friend who bought a 350 for a big suburban and the new engine has been running over a year with some hard miles on it and it is doing great, plus it gets better gas mileage than the original engine ever did. The only thing is I keep expecting it to die any day ;) , we'll see

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Thanks for all the feedback - have to give it so more thought.

I guess my concern is, anyone is fallable whether it be AAP or the local machine shop. I (personally) don't want to deal with doing it myself and then questioning what I did wrong everytime something goes amiss.

I think I will save that rebuild for my trail rig and buy a rebuilt engine (somewhere) for the cruisin rig.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
The ReCon brand is the same that Summitt Racing sells.. I sold several when I was working there part time and never had any complaints with the engines at all. They came with a 1 year warr and I believer you could get a total of 3 years for $100 extra.. I know of several personally that are still going after 3+ years and they did the quick swap on the weekend...now they did replace all other parts at the same time, ie water pump, starter, all hoses, belts etc...and they are still going. If I did not have the ability to put my own together I would go this way...and I have put two in for friends myself...very good quality..and they offer several different options of upgrade abilty, where they replace all valves etc, v/s just machining the existing valves...and they also offer performance engines with the same warr...but they are a little expensive, but have Edelbrock heads etc....

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you are willing to pay the price look at jasper engines http://jasperengines.com/ they are one of the best i have a friend who owns a repair shop and this is what he uses as the saying goes you get what you pay for

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I will also 2nd the Jasper, I also have a buddy that owns a shop that will not install any other engine except Jasper...but they are $$$$$$$$. He has been burnt by a couple of the other companies when they wouldn't reimburse his labor to replace a defective engine....

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Here's the info. from ReCon's website (the supplier to AAP)

COMPARISON

Standard Xtreme Fleet / Motor Home

Block .040 - .060 over .040 over .040 over
Crankshaft .010 - .030 under .010/.010 under .010/.010 under
Heads Remanufactured Reman./Prem. Core Reman./Prem. Core
Rods Remanufactured Reman./New Bolts Reman./New Bolts
Pistons New New New Coated Hypereutectic
Rings New Iron New Moly New Moly
Lifters New New New
Rod Bearings New New New - Premium
Main Bearings New New New - Premium
Cam Bearings New New New
Camshaft Remanufactured New or Reman. New RV/Towing or Reman.
Push Rods New New New
Valves Remanufactured New New Stellite/Hardened Seats*
Valve springs Remanufactured New New
Oil pumps New New New High Volume*
Freeze plugs Steel Brass Brass
Tinware No Yes** Yes**
Dyno Tested No Yes Yes

quad-king

kontinu said:
what does the 302 cost? and whats the warranty? what all is included in the engine?

depends on what you want.
the standard recon is just a long block. warranty is 12 mo. unlimited miles.
the tough-one has the timing cover and oil pan.warranty is 3 yr 150k miles.
Ive sold them for a couple of years now with very good luck.