• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

advice for a newbie

whyme26

Loc.
Brighton
Hey all, fairly new here (although I've been lurking for a while) and also new to the Bronco world but becoming addicted very quickly ;D Hopefully I'm putting this post in the right place..

I'm looking for some advice... I think I may have finally found something that will fit my needs (and budget) but being new to all this an opinion or two from the "gurus" would be helpful in making my decision. So any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

What I found is a 1966, original EVERYTHING including the factory plow! I talked to the guy today and am hoping to go take a closer look this weekend. He says it does run, drive, shifts good, 4x4 works good, and plows like a dream.. The metal and paint look pretty good from the one picture I've seen but I know this can be deceiving.. Says the floors are solid as a rock. He did say he wouldn't trust it to hit the highway right off the bat and that it should probably be trailered home (about 2.5 hours away). But with minimal work could easily be a daily driver.

The main things that need some work in his opinion are:
It's hit or miss with starting on cold days and sometimes doesn't want to run very well or at all. His opinion is that it's a carb issue and he has a new one but it's not installed.... Interior needs some work, seat covering etc.. The heat is not very good which I would expect in a vehicle like this (opinion on after market heating options?). some air leaks around the doors and seals and such.. and some other basic tune up things.

I guess my question is what are other things I should look for when checking it out? Any tell tale signs of good things gone bad? Anything that should make me turn around and run away?

I'm not afraid to turn a wrench and feel I'm pretty handy with fixing things myself... put a clutch in a Mini Cooper not long ago and if I can do that I should be able to do just about anything...

Anyway, thanks much for any advice or wisdom, I'm pretty excited about this opportunity (much to the dismay of my wife).. Oh, Picture..

bronco.jpg

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Rust

Since you live where a plow is needed - I would be extra-sure of the condition of the body and frame. The mechanics on these trucks are fairly straight forward and you can learn as you go - but replacing metal can be expensive and it is harder to learn while doing.

Go through the truck very carefully - look for rust on the frame, inner fenders (under hood), lower quarters, tailgate, lower doors, etc. Hopefully it wont be covered with a new layer of undercoating (bad sign, as it could be used to cover old rust). dont be afraid to poke around with a screw driver on any area underneath that looks like it might have rust.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Thats a nice looking Bronco. Welcome to the site. I'm no Guru but I know a few things to look for. Rust under the doors (rockers) and floor board, inner fenders, door posts and tailgate seem to be the usual spots. Check the frame good. Plowing means its seen deep snow and lots of salt. Check all the lights and such for wireing problems. Heater, door seals and other rubber parts are easy fix's. Check for leaks in the drums and diffs. Drive it as much as you can to find problems. Run in hi and low 4x4. Check the parking brake and fluids and all the usual stuff when buying any car. Good luck and have fun with it if you get it.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
looks like it just might be ok.but if you're not sure,buy it and send it to me and i will test drive it for two or three years to see if it is ok;D;D;D

OP
OP
W

whyme26

Loc.
Brighton
thanks all, Never even thought of using a screw driver to poke with...

That picture seems almost to good to be true especially for what he's asking ($3,800 obo) but times are pretty tough around here and it's been for sale for a while I guess.. so I'll be pretty curious to see what the deal is. If from what I hear about it is true I'll likely take it (again much to the dismay of my wife) :) anxious for the weekend!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome & good luck.. Definitely give it a good once over, You could possibly get him down from the $3,800, maybe take $3k cash with ya..

It's a GOOD Looking Rig! Leave it UNCUT LOL ;D ;D

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I'm curious what's up with the heater. The stock heater should be satisfactory. Temperatures get down into the teens here and I've never been cold in mine. It is probably something very simple that needs tweaked, like a cable or damper adjusment; maybe a clogged heater core.

Welcome and good luck!

Sporto

That is a sharp rig...looks like it has been taken care of for the past 44 years...I did not see where in the US it is located or has been driven in your original post, but I can tell you from being driven in PA all of its life my Bronco was really rotten in those areas already mentioned.

I am on my third tailgate as the first two have rotted out at the bottom.

I have found through a lot of work and expense that most of the body (inner and outer) can be repaired and brought back to a solid form, so if there is a lot of body rust, do not despair, just learn to spot well and grind!

I hope the deal works out for you, for a running 66 that is a really decent price!

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

:cool:

acarlotto

Loc.
Charlotte
Just say &*&# it and get it for what ever he will take. Once you get it anyway the addiction kicks in and your going to spend a boatload of money anyway. My wife is starting to catch on to all the things I have got shipped without her knowing. It's Christmas time, why not!!!!

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
buy it, it looks great, and you'll make your money back plowing the neighbors driveway.

welcome to the site.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Looks good in the pic - check out the frame pretty well - plow trucks can have a hard life - check out the body from underneath - like others said - poke around a bit - floors, rockers, inside kick panels, door posts. About the only thing that would make me turn and run is a huge mismatch between condition and price - there's nothing much that can't be fixed or replaced if the price is right. For 3800 I would hope you wouldn't have to be getting into kick panels or the cowl - I might expect some spots or tlc needed for rockers, floors, inner fenders next to the cowl and for things to be a little tired/worn - but overall working and serviceable. Let the addiction begin...

ugly74

Bronco abuser
that one looks pretty damn good actually, and may very well be worth what he's asking. I considered buying one that's in worse shape, for more money. if you have the $$ and time to put into it, I'd totally buy it

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Jump! Right in with both feet! Once you get it home, you will find some things that you didn't notice, but it won't matter 'cause you will then have a Bronco! Order some flares and cut those rear wheelwells, order a lift and some bigger tires, get at least a rear locker, start looking for fuel injection, and when you get all of that done let me know. I'll have a bunch more ideas for you!

In all seriousness, that looks like a dang good deal from the pic. Check the places that have already been mentioned for rust, and if you wonder about bondo a magnet works real well to show it up. Good luck and keep us posted, welcome to the brotherhood!

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Photos

Keep in mind cars & trucks always look better in photos. Years back I bought a couple of mustangs because I wanted a '66 convertible - and let my excitement overrule the bondo and rust issues ... There are far too many good, rust-free Broncos out there to bother with a rusty one. If it is rusty - I would recommend a pass - unless you are interested in learning to replace panels.

OP
OP
W

whyme26

Loc.
Brighton
Thanks again all! Kind of can't wait to go take a look tomorrow...
Surprisingly got the go ahead from the boss (wife) and it didn't even take much convincing... She said "*sigh* as long as it will make you happy" had to do a double take on that one :eek: and I did use the make money plowing the neighbors driveway bit ;)

I'm hoping to get his price down a little so I at least have some extra cash right away to take care of whatever the carb issue is or if it's not the carb sorting it out anyway. He did say he had it parked out by the road for a while and someone stole the gas caps! So be warned, there be gas caps theifs about :eek:

Oh BTW, I'm in Michigan (Brighton MI, and broncograveyard is right down the street ;D ) I've seen some heaps for sale for more money that's for sure, this one looks like the crown jewel compared to others I've seen..

OP
OP
W

whyme26

Loc.
Brighton
Oh, and panel replacement..
I've done a little of this kind of work before. Had a 71 VW that I basically tore into little pieces just for fun. Rebuilt the motor, taught myself to weld (but not really good at it). Only caught myself on fire once which I thought was pretty dang good! So minor metal issues don't scare me to much but will run away from anything to major... Man, I'm trying to keep a level head about all this but it's tough!

rhino2104

If it's decently solid I say jump on it. I paid a bit over $2k for mine and I need new floor pans and kick panels for sure.