• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice needed on A Pillar Installation

Greenflan2

I’m in the process of replacing my passenger A pillar. Should I make sure the measurements from A pillar to B pillar are consistent at the top, middle and bottom and adjust/shim the door gap later or should my focus be on getting the door gap at the B pillar as perfect as possible before I weld in the new A pillar, even if it means the measurements from the A pillar to B pillar aren’t exactly consistent (they would be close)? My doors are original and may not be exactly straight or square at this point but I do intend to use them, for now anyway. I’m sure it could be done either way and work, just not sure which is the better or correct way. Thanks

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All good questions. I learned a lot about them before doing mine by doing searches on here. There is a ton of info to help with diagrams and measurements as well as advice. It will take a lot of time but will be worth the search. Good luck

U13FL735

I would go by fit first, and use measurements only as a double check that I was in the ballpark. It's got to fit, right? I bolted up hinges to door and new pillar making sure all parts were centered in their adjustments, and latched the door shut, making the gaps even, and a little on the wide side, rather than too small, and then tack welded, and checked fit again before final weld in.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It is very important you measure location very carefully as that pillar effects not just the door opening but door location and fender location in relationship with door alignment and top and windshield frame alignment and alignment of the fender with the hood. take it in place and reassemble everything before you call it good and permanently weld it in. allot of people chicken out and just take the new piece and cut it up to replace just the rusted out areas.

Archie

Where do I find charts and diagrams with measurements for door opening? 1973 bronco ranger

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try a search here first.it will find many posts about it

papy

Contributor
following. I made a few mistakes on my last build that I do not want to make on my next. Please post any threads you find about the A pillar install and il do the same.

cheers

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Use Google for searching. Classic broncos and the what you want.

I searched classic broncos A pillar and this was the first thing

Hope it helps

Tim

Dne007

Contributor
I didn't know it until after the fact, my drivers A pillar from Toms, according to Jason/Jonie, the A pillars are rather defective, that was driving me crazy with lining things up, I just gave a push here, pull there and made it work. I wish I could go back in time and fix that:( The pic looks good, but alas has its problems. I had that part of the Bronco apart many times as it's held by self tapping screws at that time.
dne'

Attachments

• Bronco doorsb.jpg
    Bronco doorsb.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 19