• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aftermarket wiring harnesses - Painless, Centech, American Autowire, etc. Which to go with?

eBronc2

Contributor
New steel body, after paint I will installing a new wiring harness, just wondering which of the aftermarket harnesses is the one to go with - any one better than the others? Most of the electrical items in my build will be new stock parts (lights, blinkers, gauges, etc - but engine wiring will be a little different, with Holley EFI, MSD, and 75 amp alternator.

I'm comfortable with splicing, soldering, crimping, heat shrink, etc, but the less I have to do, the better.

fluffybunny

Contributor
I went with the Painless 10113 for a few reasons. I started with a basket case and needed switches and a glove box, Painless is local to me so I wanted to support them, and they have excellent tech services. When I called them, they ordered it through my Summit Racing account so I got Summit bucks. The manual is well thought out, thorough, and in color. The manual is online on their site too so take a look at it. It addresses different spark management and alternator set-ups. No complaints.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have used all of them and each have their own positives and negatives. If all stock, Centech is about the closest you will come to that. If it has a lot of modifications such as FI, AC, Stereo etc, the painless is by far the best solution. The American Autowire works wells too but was designed for minor modifications too such as update alternator and is a little more work but a very good value. Most of mine have had several deviations from stock and painless is always my choice going forward for that reason. For your rebuild that you listed the AA might be a good choice though as it cost less and will address the alternator. You will just have to repurpose a couple 12v and switched circuits for your FI. Good luck

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
To Echo what ngsd said, Centech for stock, AAW is a good in between, Painless for custom.

Painless uses ford wire colors, AAW is GM based colors and connectors, and Centech is GM colors as well. It is all finished with loom/tape/etc. The other two you have to finish yourself. Recommend Tessa tape that you can purchase on Amazon. (There are two types for interior and engine compartment.)

OP
OP
eBronc2

eBronc2

Contributor
Sounds like Painless is going to be the way to go for my build. I'm considering concealing as much of the wiring in the engine compartment as possible, perhaps by running it behind/above the inner fenders. Is there enough length in those part of the harness to allow that?

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like Painless is going to be the way to go for my build. I'm considering concealing as much of the wiring in the engine compartment as possible, perhaps by running it behind/above the inner fenders. Is there enough length in those part of the harness to allow that?
Most of it is under the dash and the engine compartment is minimal. The one I am currently working on has a lot going on and still very clean. AC, 130 amp alter, starter solenoid etc is his under the battery tray. The biggest issue I had was all of the fuel injection (pro flo 4) wiring on top of the engine and dakota digital gauges, electric fans, fuel pump, and several relays. I got almost all of it under the dash and most of the stereo stuff in the center console. I am not finished with it yet but all of the wiring is run, I just need to button it up and tuck in the harness.

Attachments

• 2 wiriring.jpg
    2 wiriring.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 42

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
im installing a painess now. its a nice kit. especially if your going back stock. my glove box has been shifted over and im running aftermarket gauges so that has definitely created some wiring length issues that im working through. but for stock it would have been a very easy installation.