• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

air cleaner clearance

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Almost done with my I6 to 302 swap and I have run into another snag. I don't know if it was the new engine towers I had welded in or the Weiand Stealth intake but, I only have about 2.5 inches between the Edelbrock 1406 and the center hood brace. Is that normal for my application and if so can anyone recommend an air cleaner that will work with my carb? The crate motor also came with a ready to run MSD distributor that also barely clears the hood brace. I welded in the mounts per the directions, kind of hard to mess that up. Thanks for the assistance.

Bill

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Clearance was never good to start with, even with a stock 302. Thats one reason the stock filter was offset. You'll need a dropped base air cleaner. Not familiar with that intake, but it may have added to the problem.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Most of the drop base air cleaners I have found are 14 inches in diameter. That ready to run MSD distributor is right at that distance, it will be very close. I was going to try the triangular shaped Edelbrock air cleaner but, I am not crazy about the foam element in those. My Dad's Bronco backfired through his and nuked it.

66broncnut

Loc.
St. Robert, Missouri
just put a 9" round on top of my 302, edelbrock performer 289 intake and 1403 carb, have about 3/8" of clearance, had the triangular foam filter on an olds once and as soon as you opened the secondaries it pulled the corners in and might as well have no air cleaner at all.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Can't speak to the distributor clearance. I used a cheap dropped base off a Mr Gasket filter with a 2.5" K&N filter on my Edelbrock performer intake w/ same carb as you and it just fit under the hood. There are other options depending on how much you want to spend. Holley makes a carb hat with two rectangular side filters that some have used with success, but pricey. I agree, no way on the foam Edelbrock filter.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I tried the Edelbrock 9 inch but it measured about 3 inches from the base to top. I made a card board template and the max I can go is 2.5 inches. I will try one of the drop bases from Summit but, there are so many other things around the carb, like the original linkage, that I am afraid they will make contact. Trial and error I guess. I post up what does and does not work. Thanks

66broncnut

Loc.
St. Robert, Missouri
I saw a fiberglass scoop on ebay last night for $59.00 I believe. would solve all the hood clearance issues now and not much more than a new air cleaner

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I use an Edelbrock triangle that I reversed to clear the distributor, linkage and fuel inlet. It has 3/16" clearance to the hood using the Pla-Dough measuring method. It came with a K&N element but paper elements are available for it too.

Attachments

• rebuilt motor 3.jpg
    rebuilt motor 3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 90

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
i saw a carb hat made by spectra ?? at a parts store for 59.00 with 1 - 4 inch inlet, but with tubing, and filter it will end up being 140.00 i have the drop base 14 inch fits good, but i may get the carb hat and plumb it to drivers side heater inlet if i can find a small enough filter... try to get some cooler air..... not much cool air here in arizona right now.

vintage bronco

i think BC BRONCO has a drop base with offset to clear the large cap distributors its for the 14in dia air cleaner.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Okay, what didn't work was Edelbrock's Pro Flo 10 and 14 inch round air cleaners. The 10 inch was too tall and the drop base 14 would not clear the electric choke. I bought a cheap Spectre 9 inch that measures about 2.5 inches from top to bottom and it just barely fits with a standard nut on top and the stud trimmed all the way down. I am concerned that it might starve the engine though, it's filter is only 1 inch. I might have to reconsider. Does your triangle cleaner clear your electric choke Blubuckaroo? Assuming you have an electric choke.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Okay, what didn't work was Edelbrock's Pro Flo 10 and 14 inch round air cleaners. The 10 inch was too tall and the drop base 14 would not clear the electric choke. I bought a cheap Spectre 9 inch that measures about 2.5 inches from top to bottom and it just barely fits with a standard nut on top and the stud trimmed all the way down. I am concerned that it might starve the engine though, it's filter is only 1 inch. I might have to reconsider. Does your triangle cleaner clear your electric choke Blubuckaroo? Assuming you have an electric choke.

Yes, and it didn't need a banjo fuel inlet fitting. It may look funny with the Edelbrock script upside down but I just tell the critics that it's made to read from the fron seat when the hood is off.%)

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Blubuckaroo, according to Summit's website, that triangle cleaner (#1222) measures 3.5 inches from carb flange to wing nut. Is that the case with yours? I literally only have about a hair over 2.5 inches from carb to hood brace. Thanks.